220 gal discuss tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

discus nut

AC Members
Feb 18, 2008
Ill.-Wi. border
jeez , got to ramblin on that one :help: look around there are some real nice colors and patterns on the discus nowadays.I have my eye on a couple of large 5" solid yellow ( yellow pigeon blood = yellow marlboro's ? ) they definetly have some pigeon blood traits. the local fish shop wants a bit to much for them at the moment though at 129.00 ea.

mike.murf1999

AC Members
Mar 27, 2008
wisconsin
Water changes are a routine part for me. Both tanks I have now get them once a week, ten days at most. My fish really seem to like when I do them too. they don't hide anymore, mostly they follow my hand around while I'm cleaning the gravel.

Most of the pairs I've seen around here at the LFS have been in the $150-$200 range.

One of these days I want to make my way to Milwaukee or Madison to check out some of the bigger LFS's and see what they have to offer for discuss.

discus nut

AC Members
Feb 18, 2008
Ill.-Wi. border
Where ya at in wi. ? I am near salem.I also have a friend who owns a reptile shop in racine that can get fish for me.I deal with shops mainly in the kenosha ,racine area for now but used to search out shops anywhere i could find them in wi.and Ill.Aqautics Unlimited has fish and a few other larger shops around that area also (greenfield).Milwaukee used to have a lot of small local breeders to distribute to the shops,i imagine there still is.You have to watch the shops though and choose wisely if you dont want to deal with sick or weak fish as most of them are just into turnover and the fish suffer. :eek:

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
a word of advice..

look for local breeders..hobbyist ..these discus wil have been raised in water similar to your source and may be less 'delicate'

you may also find great fish at good prices..

I can find local breeders that sell discus starting at $15 ea with the more 'elaborate' colors a bit more..usually never see prices remotely close to LFS..where I have seen pigeonbloods in poor condition selling for $50-$60 ea..the local hobbyist sold me my pigeon bloods for $15 each and they are much healthier.

mike.murf1999

AC Members
Mar 27, 2008
wisconsin
Where ya at in wi. ? I am near salem.I also have a friend who owns a reptile shop in racine that can get fish for me.I deal with shops mainly in the kenosha ,racine area for now but used to search out shops anywhere i could find them in wi.and Ill.Aqautics Unlimited has fish and a few other larger shops around that area also (greenfield).Milwaukee used to have a lot of small local breeders to distribute to the shops,i imagine there still is.You have to watch the shops though and choose wisely if you dont want to deal with sick or weak fish as most of them are just into turnover and the fish suffer. :eek:

I'm in Mayville, right near the Horicon Marsh. Most of the LFS i go to are in Fond Du Lac. I haven't found very many people in our area that know what discuss are let alone breed them. But it nice to know that you're not too far away for advice or maybe some breeders that aren't too far away.:)

discus nut

AC Members
Feb 18, 2008
Ill.-Wi. border
I'm in Mayville, right near the Horicon Marsh. Most of the LFS i go to are in Fond Du Lac. I haven't found very many people in our area that know what discuss are let alone breed them. But it nice to know that you're not too far away for advice or maybe some breeders that aren't too far away.:)
I do agree with star rider the local shops and distibutors can be iffy and exspensive to boot.They are generally at least 100 = 150 perccent higher than what they pay for them.Good fish can be found though.Finding them may take some time, but worth it.Milwaukee had a bunch of breeders years back but now im not sure.Do you have a Petland near you ? no problem on the help,anytime :)

mike.murf1999

AC Members
Mar 27, 2008
wisconsin
Not sure if we have a Petland around or not. We have a Petco, I've good luck with the few fish I've bought from them. I have bought some fish thru Fosters & Smith and had good luck with those too. but for the discuss I would definately feel better going thru a breeder.

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Lansing Michigan/Mesick Michigan
Real Name
Ben
WOW 150$$ i can get a pair for 60$ 20-30$ apeace.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store