29 gallon planted (newbie)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
If your red stems have grown that much - they do look big and bright - your light must be decent. I'm still interested to know specifically what it is though. The Marketplace here is a good place to find healthy plants for good prices. Aquabid is also a good resource. IF you live in the DMV area, I'm sure there are some decent shops in the Baltimore/DC metros. There used to be a really nice shop in Randallstown - don't know if it's still there or not. Don't know how close you are to SE PA but That Fish Place in Lancaster always has an excellent selection of commonly available plants (numerous crypts, stem plants, swords, anubias, etc) plus a great selection of fish and hardware.

Because you're growing mainly stem plants right now - root tabs are ineffective. Stem plants absorb their nutrients from the water column mainly so liquid ferts would be the way to go in your case right now. I've used Terta Flora Pride for years with excellent results - no nitrates or phosphates - only iron and potassium. you're getting nitrogen and phosphorous from fish food and fish waste. Root tabs are effective when you have root feeders, i.e. - swords and crypts.

Right now however I'd add more fast growing stem plants to continue to out-compete algae for the nutrients that you do have. When your tank stabilizes, then you can think about adding slower growers.

Curtis301

AC Members
Jul 23, 2013
Maryland
Thanks Roy gonna try and find some sort of moss this weekend and hopefully some more fast growing plants and toss it in there im sure the lil guppy fry will love it and im hoping to get some RCS or CPOs once i have more plants so they will love the moss too im sure . i'll check the specs on the bulb once i get off work and let ya know exactly what it is..since i def have room for upgrading in that department.

Sean W.

AC Members
Aug 8, 2013
take a gander at my 29 gallon planted tank...

My plant list:

Staurogyne Repens
Regular baby tears ( Hemianthus Micranthemoides )
Lobelia Cardinalis 'Dwarf'
Ludwigia 'red'
Hydrocotyle 'Japan'
Pogostemon Helferi
Rotala Rotundifolia
Blyxa Japonica

Note the lack of hardscape, I took it all out to make more room for plants, ill be taking this tank down so and wanted to grow as many plants as i could for my upcoming tanks in this one.

[video=youtube;taSBRM82Psc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taSBRM82Psc[/video]

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store