29 gallon tank stocking ideas

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aw609

Registered Member
Dec 1, 2016
Hi! So I have a 29 gallon freshwater tropical community tank that's well established and I'm looking into some compatible tank mates for the fish I already have. I own (2) angelfish, (2) flame dwarf gouramis, (1) platy, and (4) cory cats. I've been considering ram cichlids, cherry/amano shrimp, neon tetras (although I'm concerned that my angels would eventually eat them due to their size), and possibly another type of gourami that doesn't get very big and would be compatible with the angels. I'm looking for colorful fish that aren't very fast moving. Any help would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks!!!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I'm horrible at this game, can't even figure out what I want. lol Just want to point out at full size (and assuming the corys are not dwarfs) you are pretty well stocked. If it is a planted tank maybe you have a little wiggle room in which case I'd suggest increasing the corys to 6+. But the neons would most likely become snacks, yes and so would cherry shrimp.

Reactions: aw609

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I've got red cherry shrimp in my 29g w/ plants. Tank has 6 silver hatchets, 5-6 celestial pearl danios, 6 corys and more Malaysian trumpet snails than I care to keep. I had an angel in there for awhile as well and the angel would totally clean house of any red cherry shrimp. Eventually moved the angel over to another tank.

Reactions: aw609

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Really, your tank is already fully stocked & your angels & gouramis may have issues soon if not now. Unless your angels turn out to be either a M & F pair or a compatible F & F "pair", you will have trouble...even without the gouramis...but then there's that whole "nother issue in a smaller tank, they can't get away from each other & they need to. You need to decide which you "really" want to keep long term...choose!

As for corys, you have "floor space" for more...but not "bio-space" or swimming space for angels & gouramis together. I'd vote for 1 angel OR gourami (or maybe a compatable "pair") a 2-4 more corys & see how that works longer term.

aw609

Registered Member
Dec 1, 2016
I'm horrible at this game, can't even figure out what I want. lol Just want to point out at full size (and assuming the corys are not dwarfs) you are pretty well stocked. If it is a planted tank maybe you have a little wiggle room in which case I'd suggest increasing the corys to 6+. But the neons would most likely become snacks, yes and so would cherry shrimp.
Okay thanks so much!! I might get another Cory or 2 now :)

aw609

Registered Member
Dec 1, 2016
Really, your tank is already fully stocked & your angels & gouramis may have issues soon if not now. Unless your angels turn out to be either a M & F pair or a compatible F & F "pair", you will have trouble...even without the gouramis...but then there's that whole "nother issue in a smaller tank, they can't get away from each other & they need to. You need to decide which you "really" want to keep long term...choose!

As for corys, you have "floor space" for more...but not "bio-space" or swimming space for angels & gouramis together. I'd vote for 1 angel OR gourami (or maybe a compatable "pair") a 2-4 more corys & see how that works longer term.
Thanks! I'll probably move my dwarf gouramis into my 20 gallon and get a few more corys :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store