29G Shrimp Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
He must be one of the sakuras. I almost doubt that he is a male at time cause he is so red but he has the straight abdomen and is not as big as a female would be. And at this point they have to be full grown, they were breeding size when I got them. But man he is red....she? I'll have to look again. lol

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Got a video, can see a little better. I think it's male.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Ok, someone convince me to spend $50 (including shipping) for 20 Sakura/fire red shrimp please!! It's a good deal @ $2.50 per shrimp but I wasn't looking to spend $50 on shrimp! :oops::confused::(

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Couldn't pull the trigger on the $50 shrimp. Still looking at online auctions to find something that works for me but aiming for sakura grade, might have to settle though. Ordered some Amano shrimp to clean up the hair algae, when they are done they will be moved into my 58g.

Just some pictures from a couple days ago. Things move slow and steady in this tank.

Buce still doing great!
IMG_2900.JPG

Lesser colored male shrimp. The affinis is doing well.
IMG_2902.JPG
IMG_2903.JPG

Poor fissiden moss is full of algae, floater roots and even...a baby crypt plant?? And not looking very green. Moss just doesn't like me! lol Might move some of this into the 58g.
IMG_2901.JPG

Sorry to interrupt but all this leads to is eggs that will never hatch. :oops: All the nerites seem to mate regularly though.
IMG_2898.JPG

C. Nurii doing better than I expected
IMG_2904.JPG

Another shot of the C. affinis. Has NO reddish color anymore but looks healthy otherwise.
IMG_2905.JPG

About ready to phase out the floaters, maybe just leave the giant dukweed as it moves around more. The water lettuce just gets stuck in one area and blocks most of the light in that area 100% of the time. I also am considering trying to trim the front crypts to trick them into staying smaller.

Pest snail populations are doing exactly what I want them to do...not exploding! :) I throw some type of food in there maybe twice a week since the stocking is SO low and I have adults snails but no babies, perfect!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
You know, it's funny. Before there was a RCS grading system I used to get what would now be considered high grade sakura/low grade fire cherries for like $1, maybe a $1.50 at most. That comment makes me feel so old, lol! But this was only a few years ago.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
If you are feeling old I remember when plain ungraded RCS were about $15 each.

or a really expensive snack.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I would never buy them! lol Although I see why people would.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, I think your nerites are very poor egg layers compared to many tanks I've seen. You should be dancing over their lack of fecundity (sp?)!

Moss, meh, for me unless it's in a high flow area it kinda looks like yours...minus the baby crypt & "some" of the hair algae...although I was happy to find a bit of fissidens tucked in a corner...subwassertang too...I guess that's good...but I'm thinking all are a PITA lately. Self-planting/attaching things are lesser to me these days. Regular java moss is only kinda controlled in my "river tank" but I like it on the back glass...if only it didn't spread so well.

I think RCS are all of higher quality than say 10 years ago, fire, sakura, super red? whatever. Redder males & red hot females much better than the slightly pink boys & clear that needed culling. I could never pay $50 for any shrimp in any amount...even king kongs, super crystal whatevers, etc...doesn't mean they'd be happy for me...& maybe expensive snacks like dougall said.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store