2nd week / new tank/ nitrite/nitrate

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Anthony8858

Hey, fish-face!
Jan 4, 2004
Staten Island, NY
Visit site
Here are my readings from my 36 gallon tank that includes only LR, live sand.

Ammonia WAS higher, it is now 0
Nitrite is now high...in the "red zone"
Nitrate is now high....in the red zone

PH OK
SG OK

What next?

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
You're on your way. In my experience, nitrite takes longer to go down, so be patient. What does "red" NO3 correspond to in ppm? It will take even longer for the sand and rock to deal with nitrate, even with regular water changes. Fortunately, the only problem I've experienced, even with relatively high NO3 levels, is algae growth.
Keep the lights down or off for the moment, and add a cleaning crew when your NO2 has been zero and stays there.

Anthony8858

Hey, fish-face!
Jan 4, 2004
Staten Island, NY
Visit site
The "red ZOne" on my "TetraTest chart" equates to:

(These are my current tank readings)

Ammonia = 0.2

Nitrites = 3.3-33 mg/l (high red zone)

Nitrates = 50 mg/l

PH= 8.2

SG = 1.022

Temp = 78 degrees

Tank entering 3rd week

Original startup included LR, Live Sand, and Natural (store bought) Sea Water.

36 Gallon Bow
Filtration is Emperor 280 and "Modified" Skilter Filter w/ protein skimmer
2 Aqua 301 power heads

30lbs of LR

Looks pretty empty to me!!
Where do I go from here?

I would also like you opinion about my "RockScape"
Does it look correct?

Last edited:

wastememphis

AC Members
Sep 6, 2003
Buffalo, New York
www.peccaviparty.com
Make sure its sturdy, wouldn't want it to topple overnight. It could hurt something or your glass. The small pieces of rock I got with coral fall all the time from snails climbing on them... just make sure its sturdy. It looks very nice!

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
I like the look. Nice and open, with lots of caves. I agree with wastememphis about being sure it's stable.

It won't be suitable for livestock until the NO2 goes down. This may take a few weeks yet.

Meantime, you can start thinking about fish and a cleaning crew for when the time comes.

For cleaners, a combination of snails and hermits works for me. Astrea, cerith, and trochus snails are good grazers, and nassarius are good for the sandbed. Blue leg and scarlet reef hermits do a good job on the rockwork.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store