3 fancies, 3 different symptoms to 1 affliction?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

KevG

AC Members
Jul 8, 2010
Mtl.Qc.Ca
ermm but the tap water conditioner removes chlorine and chloramine.

Also my parameters are near perfect
NH3= 0
NO3= < 5 ppm
NO2= < .1 ppm ( very very close to zero)
The sample is clear with a very light tint of pink and .1 ppm is a solid pink.
So it is not completely zero but darn close.

I do have my well established near perfect (IMO) 80g planted tank.

KevG

AC Members
Jul 8, 2010
Mtl.Qc.Ca
oh I get what you are saying about the cleaning. By using chlorinated water to clean the media I killed off good bacteria even though I filled it with dechlorinated, treated water after.
How can you clean a filter properly without using a lot of water?

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
ermm but the tap water conditioner removes chlorine and chloramine.

Also my parameters are near perfect
NH3= 0
NO3= < 5 ppm
NO2= < .1 ppm ( very very close to zero)
The sample is clear with a very light tint of pink and .1 ppm is a solid pink.
So it is not completely zero but darn close.

I do have my well established near perfect (IMO) 80g planted tank.
If you cleaned the filter with UNTREATED tap water you nuked the biofilter if your tap has chlorine or chloramine in it. Nitrites should not be present at all in a tank with a functioning, mature biofilter. When you're done treating the tank with meds, steal some biomedia from your 80g (not all of it, but enough to jump start a new colony in the goldfish tank).

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
oh I get what you are saying about the cleaning. By using chlorinated water to clean the media I killed off good bacteria even though I filled it with dechlorinated, treated water after.
How can you clean a filter properly without using a lot of water?
Yes.

I drain my tank water into a 5g bucket in my sink and use that water to rinse everything. I'll have to replace that water in the 5g bucket a couple of times, but it's all old tank water.

KevG

AC Members
Jul 8, 2010
Mtl.Qc.Ca
Ok so when I decide to clean the filter I will use the hand siphon to a bucket instead of the sink siphon. Duly noted :)

This tank is only about 6 weeks old.
After the meds should I do a water change(s) before adding media from my other tank?

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
Yes, always do a large water change to remove meds when done with treatment. Depending on how long you need to treat, you may need to do WCs throughout the treatment as well. Also, run activated carbon for a few days after the large WC post-treatment to remove any residual medication. Then seed the filter with the media from your other tank.

KevG

AC Members
Jul 8, 2010
Mtl.Qc.Ca
thanks for helping me Lab_Rat.
The box says treat once a day for 5 days. Should I follow that?
Should I do w/c during treatment? if yes when and how much?
Should I add seachem stability during treatment?
Can I just squeeze out a sponge from the other aquariums filter? or do I need to fit it in my filter?
I have a few bags of carbon lying around as I don't use them normally. I use purigen.

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
I would follow the instructions on the box. Monitor the ammonia and nitrite, if they're elevated then do a water change. If not, go the 5 days. I would also feed lighter so the fish aren't producing as much waste. If you can fit biomedia from your other tank into the filter I would do that when you're done treating. Squeezing a sponge can help seed but I think you get more bacteria by adding the sponge or whatever to the filter itself. Stability shouldn't hurt anything and may help. You only need to run the carbon for a few days to clear the residual meds after treatment is over.

KevG

AC Members
Jul 8, 2010
Mtl.Qc.Ca
:thumbsup:Update
They are doing a lot better!
The pearlscale red burns on its sides are 99.9% gone. The Orandas white spots on its crown are about 60% gone and the black more is about 75% less dusty. :clap::dance2::headbang2::dance:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store