3 month old glow fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TechAquaria

AC Members
Sep 3, 2009
That looks like it could be a tubifex worm; have you ever fed those worms to your fish? Tubifex worms can easily survive in the aquarium gravel.

When gathering plants from the wild, I have noticed various small worms, such as the white ones you mentioned, get into my tanks. As far as I have seen, the fish eat these with gusto! They quickly tend to disappear in my tanks as I run UV on all of them.

I do notice the reddened gills on your fish. When I have seen this before, it has usually been from excess ammonia/nitrites in the water.

However, it does sound like your fish might be suffering from some form of parasite(s.) The furan you treated your tanks with is only for bacterial infections. I am guessing your fish probably had some secondary infection in addition to the possible parasitic disease--you probably only ended up treating the secondary infection; and, now the primary cause of disease is beginning to spark the secondary infection again.

Might be worth trying the praziquantel, or a similar product ...

Regards,
TA

Last edited:

badgers

AC Members
Sep 20, 2009
The first sign of something wrong was the fish stopped eating.
In response I found a place that sold live food other then brine shrimp. It is kind of funny that my fish wanted nothing to do with the live worms. They were sold to me as black worms but I figured the worms got eatten by the shrimp or just died. I only put in 2-3 worms to see if they would eat them. Since they didn't eat them I disposed of the rest of the worms.

thanks

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
The good thing is that anything you see happily free living in the tank is almost certainly not a parasite.

TechAquaria

AC Members
Sep 3, 2009
Tubifex worms ...

The first sign of something wrong was the fish stopped eating.
In response I found a place that sold live food other then brine shrimp. It is kind of funny that my fish wanted nothing to do with the live worms. They were sold to me as black worms but I figured the worms got eatten by the shrimp or just died. I only put in 2-3 worms to see if they would eat them. Since they didn't eat them I disposed of the rest of the worms.

thanks
I have a 25g with a bunch of guppies in it. I don't think when I first placed the breeders in the tank that they had ever seen a tubifex worm--they seemed to ignore them. But, it didn't take them long to figure out the worms were food!

I feed this tank tubifex once or twice a week. It is a crack-up to watch little 1/4 to 1/2 inch guppies grab up a big honkin' worm and go racing about the tank trying to keep the worm away from the bigger guppies. I mean, they are lucky to get the tip bitten off the worm before it is snatched away by a big guppy.

What can I say, I am easily entertained! :screwy: Ground up beef heart is another food which will send them into a "shark feeding frenzy!"

Regards,
TA

badgers

AC Members
Sep 20, 2009
that is whay we used to have from all of the fish. Now just 4 of the fish participate in the feeding frenzy.

I don't know what I should treat for. Every LFS I go to asks me to bring a water sample. everything tests fine. I tried the antiboitic furan-2 and I thought it helped but that might have been wishful thinking. I treated them for the full course and an extra day just to be sure.
We I removed the zebra fish from the tank for the treatment, we noticed we had zebra fish babies. they died mostly because I was untill the next day that my daughter noticed them. I was not expecting that and all my attention had been focused on the antiboitic treatment.

any suggestions are appreciated.

TechAquaria

AC Members
Sep 3, 2009
All I can say ...

that is whay we used to have from all of the fish. Now just 4 of the fish participate in the feeding frenzy.

I don't know what I should treat for. Every LFS I go to asks me to bring a water sample. everything tests fine. I tried the antiboitic furan-2 and I thought it helped but that might have been wishful thinking. I treated them for the full course and an extra day just to be sure.
We I removed the zebra fish from the tank for the treatment, we noticed we had zebra fish babies. they died mostly because I was untill the next day that my daughter noticed them. I was not expecting that and all my attention had been focused on the antiboitic treatment.

any suggestions are appreciated.
All I can say is:

If you attempt a "fix" to the "problem" and it does not work, you attempt it again, it again fails ... there is "nothing wrong with the problem", but there is something wrong with the "fix!"

Regards,
TA

badgers

AC Members
Sep 20, 2009
All I can say is:

If you attempt a "fix" to the "problem" and it does not work, you attempt it again, it again fails ... there is "nothing wrong with the problem", but there is something wrong with the "fix!"

Regards,
TA
I don't understand

badgers

AC Members
Sep 20, 2009
I am starting to think that there is no sickness at all. I am starting to suspect that the largest red danio has been bullying the others. each time the one that dies is the one that holds in the upper left corner.
I started with 8 danios to avoid any one fish getting picked on.
is there a second type of fish to dither the danios?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store