3 weeks in w/Tetra SafeStart nee Biospira, interesting results + a sick danio

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

katschamne

AC Members
Feb 3, 2008
Geneva, IL
It's funny you said that Platytudes. Last year when we went to the Georgia Aquarium, we decided to do the behind the scenes tours. They actually use test strips to test the water. Now before anyone says anything, I'm sure their strips are of much better quality then what hobbyist use. I agree that the strip tests might not be as accurate as the API but it still will give you an indication that something is happening in your tank. That and they are better then nothing at all.

MichiganMan

AC Members
Sep 21, 2008
(from post 1) I've been changing between 20-30% of the water every 3-5 days
Did a 50% change tonight, plants and nerite snails on the way next week (thx msjnxd!) Updates as conditions change...

MichiganMan

AC Members
Sep 21, 2008
The white spot seems to be slightly better - the combination of a small, fast fish really inhibits getting a good look at what is going on. Today is day 3 of Pimafix.

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
I ordered the API master kit from walmart online last year for around 20 dollars shipped. The amount of tests you get out of it makes it a lot cheaper overall than test strips.

If you are testing correctly, as in shaking the crap out of the #2 nitrate bottle, then I don't know. If the TSS worked then you won't have any ammonia or nitrite readings, although you should have some for nitrates. Try banging the #2 bottle around and testing it again. Is the tank planted?

MichiganMan

AC Members
Sep 21, 2008
The algae is really taking off, so I think that is what is sucking up all the nitrates. All of the fish appear fine and the one sick danio seems to be getting a bit better.

I have plants and nerite snails that should be here tomorrow or Thursday, will be doing some re-aquascaping at that point. I'm guessing (hoping) the plants will knock back the algae infestation. All in all, things are good if a bit green and cloudy these days! :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store