30" Current USA MH retrofit

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Andy16

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Wisconsin
Visit site
This is a post I made at nano-reef.com that I just copied over here to hopefully get some replies and advice.

I am planning on doing a mod on my current usa satellite light. It is the 2X65 watt model and it has one moonliuht. I think this is similar to the CSL mh mod that a one of the NR members did to 2 different CSL fixtures. Mine will be a little different though. My main problem is going to be space to fit the mh bulb. It is going to be a SE 175 bulb that I am going to place between the 2 PC bulbs. I am going to have to rip out the moonlight and probably that little black "wall" that it is mounted in too. I will probably have to move the PC ballasts outside of the hood too and make a box for them or something. Here is the retrofit kit that I am going to get. http://www.hellolights.com/arocu17rekit.html

I will need to seperate the socket and the reflector becuase I wont need the relfector, only the socket. Ill attach the socket into the existing reflector.

I know that I will probably have to add a fan to the hood to keep it cool becuase all those bulbs are going to be pretty close and probably create some pretty serious heat. That is my other main concern besides being able to fit the bulb in the hood with the other bulbs. I will also need to raise the hood off the tank but that isnt much of a concern.

another issue is that acrylic(i think) peice that covers the bulbs from the water. Will this melt if I add the MH bulb?

Well, If you see and problems with this such as the size of the hood or maybe not being able to keep the hood cool then please leave a little feedback. I really want to order up that light pretty soon and wire it up but I want to make sure that I have most of the major issues smoothed out first and also make sure that it will work before I buy it. TIA

Andy16

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Wisconsin
Visit site
Well I ordered up the light today. I didnt really get any responses to any of my posts on any websites so I just said to myself that I will make it work. I am pretty pumped becuase I just got a Remora AquaC protein skimmer for christmas. Metal halides and this skimmer are the two things that I have been wanting for my tank for the two years that its been set up. I cant wait to be able to be unlimited with my options of coral and even now be able to keep clams if I choose to do so. I got the XM 20k bulb with this kit and it only cost $20. All of the XM bulbs 10k, 15k, and 20k all cost only 20 dollars. I wasnt sure which one to get so I looked around and did a quick half hour search on them. The par for the 15k was reeaaaaallly bad and the 10k looked to yellow for me even though the par was 2nd best out of about 15 different bulbs tested. The 20k was somewhere in the middle for par rating so I just chose that one. I figure my growth rate will be faster no matter what bulb I choose becuase I have been running PCs for about 2 years.

Well, I will keep you updated with the progress on my project when I receive the light.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store