30 gallon odd tank ideas

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
I have been tossing around the idea of making a custom under gravel filter using reverse flow power heads. In addition to this will also run a hob filter and keeping the fish load to a minium of mainly smaller tetras or the like. If I make a custom under gravel using egg crate would leaving 2 to 3 inches of space at bottom of tank be a bad idea? My thought on doing that was to raise the level so I could then have the gravel or substrate visible, since the stand covers the bottom 12 inches. My idea was to prop egg crate on PVC tubing in bottom of tank and have one going to top of tank also for the powerhead. Any thoughts?
That idea actually sounds awesome! lol, and that causes another idea. You could have the PCV used for the uppermost powerhead be hidden in some manner(java moss would be great for that) and then use it as the centerpeice to your tank! Just tie the java Moss to it with fishing line.

Bradalucas

Registered Member
Aug 21, 2011
Further adding on my idea I want to make a DIY background to hide tube from ugf filter. My only concern is then 3-4 inches at bottom of tank once egg crate raises bottom level. Is this ok to do? uptake tube will be ran to empty space and reverse flow powerhead. My idea on background I'm wanting is maybe a tree stump or rock formation. Not really sure yet just watching my pet air and planning.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Use it as a biotower for a better tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store