315G Plywood Tank Build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BadOleRoss

AC Members
Jan 3, 2010
I am excited about the sump as well. I am worried that it will not photograph well it is finished. Afterall, it's going to be all black. I will do my best to get good pictures.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
As long as you can describe its ability to handle the water load and whether or not you had to add bracing will be sufficient for me. I plan to do the same thing except smaller of course and tailored to fit over the counter Sterilite containers as removable liners. My wood box will have a series of diagonal door-knob size holes so that water level and media condition (NO bio-balls) can be determined.

Ill be watching LOL, Im certain it will all work out and you'll have a great feeling of accomplishment and experience.;)

WeedCali

Certified Dubhead
Dec 14, 2009
NorCal/BayArea
Real Name
Adam
wow this is awesome. hope it comes along good.

I think you should have a huge school of glolight tetras. like 50 of them lol

BadOleRoss

AC Members
Jan 3, 2010
As long as you can describe its ability to handle the water load and whether or not you had to add bracing will be sufficient for me. I plan to do the same thing except smaller of course and tailored to fit over the counter Sterilite containers as removable liners. My wood box will have a series of diagonal door-knob size holes so that water level and media condition (NO bio-balls) can be determined.

Ill be watching LOL, Im certain it will all work out and you'll have a great feeling of accomplishment and experience.;)
It should easily handle the water. I will have an 1.5 overflow going to each end of the sump. Those 1.5 lines will be divided into 2-1" lines that will feed the filter socks. I am still on the fence between bio ball and scrubbies. Because of the shape of the scrubby, almost half of the surface area is lost because water runs straight through them. Thats just the opposite with bio ball, because of there shape, all of the surface area is used....but they are more expensive.

BadOleRoss

AC Members
Jan 3, 2010
wow this is awesome. hope it comes along good.

I think you should have a huge school of glolight tetras. like 50 of them lol
Actually not a bad idea. I am building the tank and sump and the wife will decide on the occupants. She much prefers lots and lots of schooling fish.

WeedCali

Certified Dubhead
Dec 14, 2009
NorCal/BayArea
Real Name
Adam
thats good. i think schools add a lot of character to a tank. and i think the orange color of the glolights would look nice :)

FISHSHROD

FI double SH ROD
Aug 18, 2005
Pompano Beach,Fl.
Real Name
Mark
I like this :)

Navyscuba

The Fish Envy
Jul 5, 2009
Bartlett,TN
www.thefishenvy.com
Real Name
Angel Rivera
Now you got me thinking a lot about making a sump like this for my 100 A. Cichlid tank instead of getting a FX5. Hummmm. hehe Looking Awesome. Hope to see more pics soon.

BadOleRoss

AC Members
Jan 3, 2010
Now you got me thinking a lot about making a sump like this for my 100 A. Cichlid tank instead of getting a FX5. Hummmm. hehe Looking Awesome. Hope to see more pics soon.
When I started designing this I was going to go with 2 FX5s. The more I thought about it the more I decided that I liked the control the sump gives me and I will only be plugging in 1 pump instead of 2. Plus, I have a place to put the heaters and any other media I feel the need to try. I will keep the pictures comming, I know how you folks are with your need for pictures. :grinyes:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store