40 Breeder, Coldwater Stocking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Notophthalmus

I put the 'snork' in 'snorkeling'!
Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
Looking good!

Jonah's Aquarium also carries some native stream fish. Their stocklist changes all the time, so if there's a particular species you want, just let them know and they might be able to get it for you. Looks like they have some Lythrurus shiners and some madtoms right now, any of which would work well in your tank.

I'm not sure if it came up before, but there are several native stream mosses, many closely related to willow moss. You'll probably have to collect these yourself.

PaulJ69

CP addict
Mar 18, 2008
NJ
Thanks noto, I've been past that site a couple times. Most of the site with native fish, you could just ask if they could get something and they might get it.
I still need to get my last 2 remaining logs to submerge and still need to get my 2 big rocks. Then I'll start planting!

PaulJ69

CP addict
Mar 18, 2008
NJ
Quick update:

I think I have a problem...
Problem is the temp of the tank is not going below 72. Right now its 73.9. It's in my basement (which is cold) and I don't have a heater running on it. Its actually warmer than if I didn't have a heater on my 29g 2 stories up which is a lot hotter. I think my canister might be running hot.
I still need to get my 2 big rocks and build a canopy...
other than that its a tank filled with moving water lol.

stratusfearrr

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
tank looks great! keep us updated

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Paul I don't know what part of Jersey you're in but I know a place just outside of Ambler PA (Eastern Montgomery County) where there is all the black slate or shale you could want for the taking. There are some of cube shaped pieces and literally tons of flat ones from gravel sized to bring a backhoe sized.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Quick update:

Problem is the temp of the tank is not going below 72. Right now its 73.9. It's in my basement (which is cold) and I don't have a heater running on it. Its actually warmer than if I didn't have a heater on my 29g 2 stories up which is a lot hotter. I think my canister might be running hot.
Can you go open top and have a fan blow over the top of the water?

gar man

cookies!!!
Dec 31, 2008
council bluffs,IA
id go with the Axolotls those things are so awsome :D

Notophthalmus

I put the 'snork' in 'snorkeling'!
Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
Quick update:

Does your basement get warmer in the summer or is the temp pretty constant? 74 F is not a problem for most temperate species, especially if there's plenty of current and surface agitation. Several people at the NANFA forum keep darters at similar temps.

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
if I were to do a coldwater tank it would be a local biotype

I would get some wild things from around my area and make a coldwater tank

of course with this option, a great amount of research should be done to make sure you are meeting the needs of a wild animal

PaulJ69

CP addict
Mar 18, 2008
NJ
Tank temp 74.4

Well my basement does probably get warmer in the summer time, I just have never checked. I also should check the outside temp too... That's on my list of things to do tomorrow.
I know of a place where I saw 2 decent sized rocks, I just haven't gone and got them yet. Still on my list of things to do...
I thought about axolotls but they need colder water, and more upkeep.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store