40 gallon saltwater tank stocking up list

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

whaddisfish

AC Members
Dec 25, 2011
i think im gnna kickout the humbug then, and keep the yellowtail. im gnna find a true yellow tail then (i like their coloration :D) and u guys reccommend any fish to replace my humbug? im fine with any coloration, just want it to hav strking bold colors and reef safe.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Royal gramma?

whaddisfish

AC Members
Dec 25, 2011
are royal grammas interesting to watch? i nvr seem to be interested into those guys :D anyother suggestions?

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
are royal grammas interesting to watch? i nvr seem to be interested into those guys :D anyother suggestions?
I just got a royal gramma Friday, neat fish with very neat colors, a little bit shy, but he's new. I'll also second the blenny. I have a black sailfin blenny, he has a great personality, but a bit plain. He does a great job at eating green hair algae though.

Last edited:

whaddisfish

AC Members
Dec 25, 2011
okay, i havnt looked much at blennies, gnna start looking into them now. but im thinking of a saddle back clown.will the two ocellaris beat up the lone saddle back?

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Well, clowns are like cichlids. They pair up, and the odd one out gets it's but whupped until it dies. I'd stick with 2 clowns, either a pair or two of similar size species. Personally, the pair would be wiser, and just the pair.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Although there are some rare cases of more than two clowns getting along in captivty, typically they will kill the 3rd wheel :). If you have never seen a full grown saddle, they get pretty large (4 to 5"). I would stick with a pair of percs or ocellaris.

Was going to ention blennies too but most are not all that colorful. Midas is a larger blenny but is beuatiful fish with a ton of personality. All blennies are knonw to jump so aggressive tank mates are not a good idea (unless you have a good top that covers the whole tank).

whaddisfish

AC Members
Dec 25, 2011
it wont have a cover. i wanted helfrichi firefish are first but then they jump too. and the mandarins are so hard to care for. anthias are jus so picky with their feeding. tangs are too big for my tank. nothing much left except damsels and clowns. any other ideas?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store