4ft set up

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dragon_Lord_Tia

OH NO not Lenny
Feb 14, 2003
Orange Australia
Visit site
soon i wish to set up a 4ft marine tank. i have 0 experience with marines so i have not idea what to do.

i want to keep a lionfish or anything in that family but ive read feeding them can be a hassle what can i feed it and how often?

would i need a sump for that size tank or will a via aqua 650&ac 140(internal filter) do it?or 2 HOB aqua clears 500 with the ac-140 internal.

whats a good aquascape for a tank with that sort of fish?

what other accerssories will i need skimmer, etc.

also what cleaner fish could i get?

M-pire

Foosballer
Dec 9, 2003
Lexington, Kentucky
What size thank are your reffering to as a 4ft tank? 40long, 55gallon, 75gallon, 72bow, etc? This will make a big difference on which equipment to choose and what fish the tank can handle.

As for cleaner fish, for saltwater most people use snails and hermit crabs as the primary cleaners.

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
I'll assume your tank is big enough but, please do pay attention to empiers post and take it into account. It's going to depend on what sort of line you add as to what other fish/inverts you add. One's like Voltans lions "real pretty but, real big like a ft", probably wouldn't fit in your tank. Also any lion will eat anything that can fit in there mouth and I honestly can't think of very much that won't fit in some of the bigger ones mouths. As to cleaners I'd stay away from them they don't do well at all in captivity and cause a lot of harm when they aer removed from the reef. Your best bet would probably be one of the pygmy lions even in the upper end possiblity of tank sizes your dimensions allow for. They are real neat and smart,"for a fish", if you'll think of it as Jabba the Hutt you'll do ok. They can eat anything up to 1/2 their body size," and will try bigger sometimes", so stock your tank with bigger fish and they will do ok.
hth
chris
also they will eat hermits, shrimp, stars etc... You shouldn't have any problem feeding them they will take most prepaired foods. I wouldn't feed them any live foods,"especially goldfish", it will add to their level of aggresion.

Last edited:

Sregnar35

The Man, The Myth, The Legend
Aug 21, 2003
Upstate NY
Visit site
A "standard" 4 ft tank? Could be 18 or 24 inches wide, that will make a big difference when you talk about bigger lionfish. A voitan lion can get 18 inches, imagine a basketball in your tank.

M-pire

Foosballer
Dec 9, 2003
Lexington, Kentucky
Thats what I was gettin' at...40 long, versus a 75gallon...both 4 feet, one with almost twice as much water to dilute the waste. Lions can be pretty messy fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store