5 gallon bucket filter idea

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

"13"

Thirteen
Jun 17, 2007
Canada
Here is a idea i have

This is a side view of the 5 gallon bucket basically the water flows down into the bucket then fills the inner pipe and flows over the top then is pumped back to the tank via external pump. below is a picture of the ring that sits below the egg crate and is attached to the return pump

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Cool idea. I like the ring on the return a lot. There's these bucket inserts that have legs on them and a grate on top designed for 5 gallon buckets that I'm thinking of using. It would sit nicely on top of the ring.

Cylinder

AC Members
May 8, 2007
Call your local Wal-Mart Supercenter bakery (or better yet, stop by in the early evening) and ask if they have any spare buckets. They use these daily to ship cake icing in and they are food-safe (no leeching) and have a lid manufactured with a rubber gasket inside to prevent contamination of the product. I use mine for water changes. I think they would work quite well if you try this DIY.

"13"

Thirteen
Jun 17, 2007
Canada
Cool idea. I like the ring on the return a lot. There's these bucket inserts that have legs on them and a grate on top designed for 5 gallon buckets that I'm thinking of using. It would sit nicely on top of the ring.
Thanks the Design needs a little work still. By all means feel free to criticize and add input .
Do you have a pic of these grates your talking about ?

paytonclimer

AC Members
Apr 12, 2007
I'm actually in the process of making a custom canister filter.
I found this guys article, he made one for his small tank.
I'm just going to get a bigger canister and a bigger pump, and that should work for me.

The only thing I am going to change is to get an external pump, not a submersible one.

heres the link

"13"

Thirteen
Jun 17, 2007
Canada
interesting design cheap there are a few things i don't really like but there are things i don't like about my design as well so good luck with whatever you choose to do post some pics when your done

paytonclimer

AC Members
Apr 12, 2007
it is a little crude, but it gets the job done.
Lock and lock containers have really good latches.

With some small alterations it should fit my bill.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store