$50 craiglist 225 tank/cabinet/canopy DIY refurbish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Thanks Rod. The filter system choice is a distant bridge before a few mountains I need to get over. Ill be so happy just to get it water tight and and siting on its own wood finished stand. If I have to Ill just pull off two magnums and the AC 110 which are extras on my 2 tanks which have the FX5. Who knows maybe Ill get that Toms complete set up with the HOB overflow. I like it better as I will be gaining 10% extra tank space pulling out those overflows.

SMinNC, I think you have the easy solution I was looking for. I will remove at least one of the two door braces to open up access on at least one side for a large filter. Ill just frame around both doors on the inside with doubled 2x4 and split that center that board between the two doors as extensions that looks like a false brace. If one works out and looks great I will do both doors.

Arkangel77, These deals never come up here either but once every 3-6 months. You need to do county wide searches under both aquarium and fish tank every few days and be ready to pounce. But this deal I would have never accepted even free cause I am not in the market for a busted tank that needs a tearful repair. But although it turned out to be damaged goods, its in my back yard now and its worth more to me to get it fixed then just sit there because no one withing 200 miles is going to want to fix it, so that leave me. And everyday I have to do something to it until its its working and looking good again 100%.

krytan, cant look at it that way. It is just some work every day with no more then 2 days between doing something to get the project finsihed. When you do these things a little at a time they get done suprisingly fast and usually much better quality then trying to rush it. Im retired so I have nothing better to do but don't tell my wife that lol.

inkyjenn, well don't hold your breath. Like my DIY canister project which was much more of a technical hurtle, it took me over a month to finish that project, but its been working now for 3 months non-stop and and due for a cleaning.

ibr3ak, Rbishop & inkyjenn, thanks.

krytan

Sep 2, 2007
Norwich, England
Real Name
Wayne
krytan, cant look at it that way. It is just some work every day with no more then 2 days between doing something to get the project finsihed. When you do these things a little at a time they get done suprisingly fast and usually much better quality then trying to rush it. Im retired so I have nothing better to do but don't tell my wife that lol.
I know what you mean, it has taken me nearly nine months to build a new stand and reseal my 150g but i have thoroughly enjoyed doing it. As i tend to work 10-11 hour days i was only able to work on it at the weekend and with two kids i wasn't able to work on it every weekend.
I like to follow these types of threads so i have subscribed.
Good luck with the build Gunner, i look forward to seeing it progress.

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
I love Projects like that. I would soo scoop up a repair deal if I could find one dirt cheep! Wood is suppa easy and glass well thats a little tuffer but doabe. WHen I search I look everywhere within a 2 hr drive - I look under fish, tank, & aquarium. I look a few times each week. The problem is a few years back the huricate took out so manny houses and everyone lost there contents - There just isent too much old stuff laying around anymore. I live outside of N.O. soooo.

The last DEAL I got was while I was in texas for work! NO BS, I just drove it home in the truck -LOL. I love to buy and sell - I get kicks out of finding good deals. I know i am strange bu there it is.

Lata, Arkangel77

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Between other things that came up today I managed to at least get started and rebuild 1/2 of the floor removing the rotten fiber board between all the supports and should get the other half back on tomorrow. Then I will add additional vertical and horizontal support studs in preparation for the new 3/8" strand board floor on the bottom not sandwiched in between the supports. Also the 3/4 inch plywood solid top.

I think one of the problems with 6 foot and longer long aquariums is loss of support in the middle due to weight, perimeter stand (bad idea) and lack of center cross supports eventually cracking the bottom of the aquarium. I'm going to make sure there are enough center support it doesn't happen with this cabinet. I have removed the beams between the doors and will box them on the inside with studs for better support and the door stops will be hidden. The opening will go from 10" wide to 22 inches wide, more then enough room to get the FX5 inside. The pictures below do it no justice yet but still lets you see it evolve, the next few days you will see it beef up ready for chem stripping and power washing.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
:thm:

I wish I had time to work on projects like this.

keep em coming:woot:

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
Nice work - Keep at it

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Thanks guy's

FYI, just got off the phone with the glass guy because I was concerned after a comment he had made that the glass would have no discoloration. My researching the details about heat strengthened vs tempered glass showed that tempered glass has shadows known as stress points which is normal. heat strengthened glass is just like regular glass only about 1.5 times stronger and still cracks into sharp shards when it brakes, and of course as we all know tempered glass is heated to very high temperatures then quenched with cool air rapidly placing the outside of the glass under tension with the inside making it 5x stronger then regular but why it explodes into tiny marbles when it does brake. Anyway My conversation was about being sure it was going to be tempered not just heat strengthened and why the glass would have no discoloration, the glass guy said that tempered glass used to be discolored with stress marks when it would lay in the ovens on racks but know they float the glass in the ovens so there are no stress shadows anymore. I forgot to ask what they float the glass on but I'm sure its some molten metal like nickle. Anyway he assured me that it would be tempered.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Can you believe it the glass guy called me this morning to tell me the panel had arrived from the factory in Phoenix. Im glad i asked him if it was in a carton or had protection because apparently they just come naked on racks with no protection. So I had to spend some time calling a friend to use his truck as mine had the broken tank inside and also build some wood framing to hold the glass securely with straps so it could be safely carried, moved in the truck and placed on a dolly secured until ready for placment.

The glass looked way better then I expected so polished with with beveled corners and an embossing from the factory certification that it is fully tempered glass. My neighbor Harold and I laid the new glass over the old since the old glass is floated (set inside) we were able to set the new glass bottom on the perimeter of the 4 panels and the fit rest perfectly flat on all 4 panels. I also came to the conclusion that after I remove the old bottom glass the remaining unbroken 4 feet could be cut to make two 24" end panels, perfect for replacing the one that is chipped without the need to flip over the chipped end glass. Amazing how beautiful new tampered and polished glass looks. Sorry no pics as I do need to learn to carry a small pocket camera. But I will make sure to get photos of actual work as it is being competed.

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
Thats great and was super fast also!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I won't believe it till I see pics:duh::nono:

way cool