50-gallon stocking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

a7oneal

AC Members
Dec 27, 2004
Well, I'm thinking about setting up a few tanks for the current freshwater inhabitants (and moving some to other tanks I'm in charge of maintaining)... this would leave my 50-gallon open and I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. I have no problems gutting it and starting over... I have equipment and such for both freshwater and saltwater set-ups.

The tank is "stubby." It's 30''x18''x20''.

I realize choices are limited due to the size and such, but any suggestions that would help me figure out what to do with it would be appreciated.

Colombian_Shark

King Catfish
Jan 23, 2006
A 50-gallon tank has its limitations, but there are still several neat fish you could keep. Some of my personal favorites are: false percula clowns, green reef chromis, yellow watchman gobies, and fire fish. There are also plenty of inverts you could go with.

a7oneal

AC Members
Dec 27, 2004
Let's say I wanted a Centropyge species (C. loricula, C. multicolor, C. bispinosa, C. tibican, or C. potteri)... what would go well with these? Presumably, they would have to be less boisterous to accomodate the shy nature of some of these species.

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
it really depends on what you like. If you could give us something to start with you'd get better answers
cheers
Max

a7oneal

AC Members
Dec 27, 2004
That's half the problem... I'm much more familiar with the larger or more aggressive species like triggerfish, lionfish, moray eels, and tangs, but I do not know of any species from these groups that would be appropriate given the tank size.

I mean, I like butterflies like raccoons and yellow longnosed. Clownfish are interesting, but if I had one, I'd want an anemone, which I don't think is possible. Blennies, firefish, and gobies are cool. Maybe some kind of small hawkfish... Wrasses (I saw a dragon wrasse today, but that species gets too large)... filefish...

I'm looking for one showcase fish that has a nice wow factor, whether that be color or pattern, and then a few that complement that fish nicely... I was thinking the Centropyge or even a marine betta would be that fish.

I'm really not that picky, but I'd want different colors in the tank (cryptic species are fine), and I want to have several fish so that when I go to the fish store for the next 6 months to a year, I can actually look for something on my list (until bioload maximum is reached) instead of looking and wishing.

Last edited:

a7oneal

AC Members
Dec 27, 2004
Thanks for the assistance all, I've decided this is not the direction to go with this tank.

I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do, but I'll figure out something!

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
threads like this are pretty hard for me to answer. I don't mind at all answering a compatability question or advising a new tank mate for a set up system etc. I just have issues advising people to select one fish or another unless I know you pretty well or you give me most of what you want. In other words I don't mind people having a fish or two at my urging just not a whole tank. It's your vision etc. and you have to live with what you pick not me. I am not gripping etc. just sharing an opion I really do enjoy helping people out. I hope you guys all get what I mean.
the whinger
Max

a7oneal

AC Members
Dec 27, 2004
I understand perfectly (I moderate two other forums). I wasn't asking anybody to stock the tank, just kind of free-flow so I can get some ideas to further pick your brains about those and make my decision from there. I just know that there are things out there that I'm missing out on because I forgot about them.

Honestly, if I did this tank, it would be with a Centropyge angel (likely a flame angel), some firefish or cardinals, and a blenny, jawfish, or prawn or watchman goby.

What do you think about that?

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
I think that it would be cool. You might also consider fish like mandrins they need about 50 lbs of live rock to get enough pods to eat. You can also do possum wrasse 6 line wrasse a clown of your choice. Take a look at the mobile inverts as well cleaner shrimp are great as are peppermints the cucumbers are cool critters as well. Hope this helps and let us know what you decide.
Max

a7oneal

AC Members
Dec 27, 2004
What kind of stocking levels are acceptable for firefish (Nemateleotris magnifica)? I've read that they are best kept in twos... the same with the cardinal fish (Pterapogon kauderni).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store