55 Gallon Acei Tank - Need Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

djlamonica

AC Members
Sep 16, 2012
Yellow labs, rustys, red zebras would all work fine I would not go more aggresive then that aka kenyi johanni

Sent from my SCH-I405 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Whenever you vent check them and if all three are males just pick one out but yes def add more caves if space is permitted, and as always whenever you keep Mbuna even the so called lesser aggressive Mbuna they are all aggressive in their own way, mine are so docile but yours could be rebels on fins, its just how they roll if you know what i mean.. You could also add a small group of larger Australian Rainbow fishes so that the constant swimming will deter some focus off of the group..

Dagamoth

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Milford, OH
Real Name
Adam
I would just add more acei to the tank. 7 mbuna in 55 is just asking for 1 dominant fish to emerge victor of the territory.

**I would try and get females if possible**

Zbbal

AC Members
Jul 9, 2009
Sevierville, TN
I just wanted to update everyone. I have continued salt treatments, and all of the seven Acei are looking better. I will probably remove the other two males, but I'm trying to wait and see how the new dynamic works. I removed all previous decor and bought a ton of clay pots to replace the old decor, which alone helped aggression because all areas of the tank were equal and the three bullies were able to pick their own pots. Granted though, I also bought six Red Zebras of equal size and added them the instant I put the pots in the tank, so the one dominant male in that group could find his own pot. So far it would seem that the Zebras are the more docile critters in the tank, playing follow the leader everywhere. The Acei have been a bit nippy towards their tank-mates, but the aggression has let up considerably. The main Alpha Acei has definitely gotten better, since he has twelve things to chase. (I realize my tank is overcrowded, and I will upgrade tank size as the fish grow.)

Zbbal

AC Members
Jul 9, 2009
Sevierville, TN
Oh, and I tried venting but I wasn't able to tell the difference, so I'm going to wait till they are bigger to sex and and re-group into groups of five or so.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
If it is working out i would leave it alone, seems to be fine for now, thanks for reposting a follow up its always nice to hear the positive.. Good luck and enjoy.. Maybe post a photo..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store