55 Gallon Angel Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
DD Blacks are notoriously hard to keep.

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
IME 3 is a really bad number. You're almost sure to end up with a pair and an odd man out. That one will bear the brunt of ALL of the agression of the pair.

I would either get 2 (if you end up with the same sex it won't matter becasue if there is no one to pair up with, you shouldn't see any agression. If you end up with a pair even better)

Or I would get 5- that way if you end up with a pair or two any agression when a pair is spawing will be spread out amound the 3 other fish.

One way to cut down on agression is to break up the sight lines in the tank. Just like we have hedges in between our yard and the neihbors yard so we can have some privacy and avoid getting on each others nerves, same goes for fish.

Vinjari

AC Members
Feb 6, 2007
Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions. So it sounds like I should have a good amount of tall plants in there and something to split up the tank a bit. I may start with 5 and if I have to remove some I will. My only concern in the PH, mine runs pretty high right out of the tap like close to 8.0. Should I attempt to lower it with a buffer or just allow the angels to adjust? Thanks.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
in general .. don't worry too much about pH. instead check the gh and kh .

gh is general hardness measures calcium and magnesium. this is the one to be concerned with.
kh is usually linked with ph and is a measure of carbonate hardness.

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
Just be careful to acclimate them slowly if they are not already in water like yours.
pH swings are much more harmful than a steady pH that is out of the normal range for the fish. I would not mess with chemicals to lower it.

You can add a nice big piece of driftwood, almond leaves or put some peat under your gravel or in a bag in your filter. These will SLOWLY and regularly leach natural organic acids into the tank that will lower your pH without the rapid changes that can be caused by adding chemicals that dissolve almost instantly. It isn't necessary, but if you wanted to match their naturally occurring habitat, that's the way I would do it. Just be aware, all of these will stain your water a gold-ish color.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store