55 Gallon Community tank, compatibility check.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

japbart

AC Members
Jun 9, 2012
I say your stock is fine. Put the fish in and observe your turtles reaction. Move either if needed. Although I think the rose lines will get too big for the 55. If you have enough space to move either the fish or turtle around then I don't see anything that would stop you. I've kept fire mouths with rummy nose and cardinal tetras and they never even bothered to go near them.

PS
Idk what a rainbow shark is. Sorry :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
My view is that a 55g is not sufficient space for Denison barbs on their own. This species, Sahyadria denisonii [this just recently changed from Puntius denisonii] should be in a group of 8 minimum, and they are active swimmers. A four foot tank that is 90g might pass, but the fish would be much better [= healthier] in a 5-6 foot tank. They do attain 6 inches, but it is the active swimming that is significant.

This fish is also benthopelagic, meaning it swims very close to the substrate where it feeds on benthos (organisms living in, on or close to the substrate) and zooplankton. The Rainbow shark [which is Epalzeorhynchos frenatus, a species closely related to the Red-tail shark E. bicolor] is obviously also benthic, and this type of fish should not be combined with the barbs. The Rainbow is a bit more "peaceful" than the Red-tail, but I wouldn't risk the fish just to see if it might work when it probably won't.

As for the turtle, I would not have any of these fish in with it; it deserves its own space, and from my research many years ago when I had turtles, I think a larger tank would be better here too. But just for the turtle.

Byron.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store