55 Gallon Planted Build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NB_Aquatics

AC Members
Jan 17, 2011
SW Ohio
Real Name
Nick
Equipment

- Standard 55 Gallon 48"x13"x21"
- Fluval 305 Canister Filter
- 48" double GLO T5HO 104w total
- 200W submersible heater
- DIY Stand (In the making)
- DIY Co2 System
- Substrate CaribSea Flora Max

Stocking

- 1 Angelfish
- 1 Bolivian Ram
- 1 Betta
- 2 BN Plecos
- 11 corys
- 5 Rummynose tetra (Soon to be 12)

The tank has been running for about a month. I just added the fish and plants about 3 days ago. Everything is pretty much just flung in there experimenting. Most of my equipment is not set up due to the stand being a work in progress. The temp is staying at about 76-78 degrees without the heater. More plants will be coming soon!

Any suggestions are welcome!

DSC00762.JPG DSC00765.JPG DSC00760.JPG

NB_Aquatics

AC Members
Jan 17, 2011
SW Ohio
Real Name
Nick
Well here is the start to my DIY stand. Its going to be made out of oak. The only thing I started so far is the top. Should have time to knock out alot of it tonight! So hopefully have some updates for you tonight! :thm:

DSC00716.JPG

teij_tseng

AC Members
Mar 25, 2010
Just out of curiousity, how are you going to move the tank once the stand has been built? Looking good so far though!

NB_Aquatics

AC Members
Jan 17, 2011
SW Ohio
Real Name
Nick
Looks nice, I am working on a oak stand for my 55 too. Click on my tanks in my signature to see it.

I like the stock idea lots of movement on the bottom but its good to give the angelfish space.
Stand looks really good! I love my bottom dwellers, i think once the betta passes i will add a pearl gourami. I also have a pair of kribs i would like to add, think they would work?

Just out of curiousity, how are you going to move the tank once the stand has been built? Looking good so far though!
Well i have a clean 55g barrel im going to get the python out and put the water in there. Put the fish in a bucket. Then once i get it up i can simple move the tank up. That is the reason i haven't planted it to much because they will be coming up once the stand is done.

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
Are you doing pressurized co2 or the yeast co2? Any plans for a background?

NB_Aquatics

AC Members
Jan 17, 2011
SW Ohio
Real Name
Nick
Progress on the stand!

So i had time to work on it tonight and got a little done. The stand looks rough and not very sturdy now, but these are the first stages. This thing is going to be built like a tank when its done. None of the white will show, I'm going to cover that with oak to make it look good and get it real sturdy. The top is just setting there it is not finished yet as you can see. 2"x4" or 2"x2" will be added in the middle and all 4 corners going up and down, i think 2"x4" are overkill but that is never a bad thing. :) Suggestions are always welcome!

DSC00812.JPG DSC00813.JPG DSC00814.JPG DSC00811.JPG

NB_Aquatics

AC Members
Jan 17, 2011
SW Ohio
Real Name
Nick
Are you doing pressurized co2 or the yeast co2? Any plans for a background?
Yeast for now, but i plan on going pressurized soon enough! I think i will just go for a simple blue or black background. I may experiment with a cork scape.

By the way i like your signature :p

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
Lol my sig is the truth.

I vote for the black background, and i dont think the yeast co2 will have much effect. Although it cant hurt, excel may be a better option. But go pressurized ASAP haha

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store