55 Gallon Re-Stocking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

How long have you been in the hobby?

• 1-2 years

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • 3-5 years

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • 5+ years

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • Less than a year

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

BlazeitChris

AC Members
Aug 19, 2015
United States
I've had a 55 gallon tank set up for about 2 years now (ph-7.9ish, nitrates-5.0ppm, nitrites-0ppm, ammonia-0ppm) running a Fluval 406 and Fluval U4 that had about 5 rainbowfish, 1 BN Pleco, 2 juvenile clown loaches, 1 Synodontis Angelicus, and 1 Elephantnose; usually do monthly 30% water changes. About a week ago my tank had a heater AND filter malfunction/tragedy while I was out of town causing my elephantnose and all rainbowfish to die... Now that I've taken care of that I'm looking to new opportunities among the vast world of cichlids!

This would be my first attempt at cichlids so I have next to none experience. I do know that African cichlids (Lake Malawi,haven't decided on haps or Mbuna) are extremely hard to kill and usually look attractive so that's a win-win. But SA cichlids (no Discus plz) would probably give me a wider variety to choose from.
I also find Knifefish, Leopard Ctenopoma, and Blood Parrots (I'm aware with their philosophical issue with their existence in the hobby) pretty interesting.
Thanks.;)

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Look at some of the other many "African Cichlids"....

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
Your clown loaches (and to a lesser extend your BN) prefer soft acidic water (like most central and SA cichlids), while most African Cichlids prefer hard alkaline water. IME its best to put species who like similar conditions together, otherwise no one is happy

And I'd recommend doing fish that match up with your tap water so you can be happy too- its a PITA to be constantly adjusting water parameters..

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
A breeding pair of Trichromis (cichlasoma) Salvini or Thorichthys Ellioti would definitely hold your interest.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
IMO, a 55 is a very good "Mid-Size" tank, giving you many options. African cichlids as a group is more active, more movement. An all Male Mbuna tank you look nice, or you can get 2 or 3 breeding gruops of Mbunas. Haps maybe a little too big for a 55, but what about some Peacocks?
Going for a more sedate tank with the SA or Cental American fish is nice too. I would not be overly worried about water conditions as long as it is stable, fish can adapt.

PS--On a side note, I always have 2 heaters and 2 filters for my tanks. That way if one gives out, there is still some heat or filtration. Each filter or heater is rated for about 2/3 of what my tank really needs.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I'm still against mbuna in a 55. I just hate the skinny layout and lack of real depth. But I digress, it can be done.

BlazeitChris

AC Members
Aug 19, 2015
United States
Sorry for late response, been having some computer issues.
Thanks for replying! One of my friends successfully kept a pair of clown loaches with mbunas for many years in a 72 bowfront with no problems and the loaches didn't get much bigger than 6-8", which is the reason i believe they could coexist with these fish. I really would like to have peacocks(mostly males) in my tank due to the spectacular colors they can produce. Blood parrots IMO can also be quite attractive; the African Bushfish (Leopard Ctenopoma) I just want because of how unique it is. I would also like to hang onto my Synodontis because of how expensive it is on the market atm. Keep in mind that most of these fish are juveniles so are only 2-3" right now.

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
So what are you leaning to get?

BlazeitChris

AC Members
Aug 19, 2015
United States
I'd really like to have 1 blood parrot, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, X number of peacock cichldis (males), and the fish I already have; 1 Synodontis Angelicus, 1 BN pleco, and juv. clown loaches (unless I need to rehome them).

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
IMO, that would be OK. The Clown loach though, is a schooling fish and would like more of it's own kind. Difficult in a 55gal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store