55 Gallon River Setup

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
OK, I know your hands are dainty small (compared to my XL long fingers). But her coloring is looking very yellow in the girly way compared to where she was! I'm going to say "it's" a girl!! but she needs some extra good feeding...she doesn't look quite breeding ready just yet but very soon. Bring on some protein rich foods!

My 2 species of apisto females got much more yellow. Different species or not quite ready? I'm voting spawning very soon, within a week or 2. They both look interested now. Let's go!

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
OK, I know your hands are dainty small (compared to my XL long fingers). But her coloring is looking very yellow in the girly way compared to where she was! I'm going to say "it's" a girl!! but she needs some extra good feeding...she doesn't look quite breeding ready just yet but very soon. Bring on some protein rich foods!

My 2 species of apisto females got much more yellow. Different species or not quite ready? I'm voting spawning very soon, within a week or 2. They both look interested now. Let's go!
Well you know if my hands are small, and the male still looks small in comparison to those, you know they're tinnnnyyy lol

Tank is definitely one of my "quietest" in terms of activity. Not a bad thing, though.

1000130983.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I thought maybe with your species females don't get quite as bright yellow as some (like I have said before). But a quick search & reliable sites like seriously fish show they do. So I think your girl has a little way to go but she is a definite yellow with rounder fins, not a "sneaker" male. Like teenagers, they might not be quite done growing up but they are having "ideas". I know it's still winter but maybe some frozen treats would be nice.

I know you have a bunch of tetras in there but I could only see a few. No, I don't need dots or circling; this time anyway, lol. Your tank looks great!

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
I thought maybe with your species females don't get quite as bright yellow as some (like I have said before). But a quick search & reliable sites like seriously fish show they do. So I think your girl has a little way to go but she is a definite yellow with rounder fins, not a "sneaker" male. Like teenagers, they might not be quite done growing up but they are having "ideas". I know it's still winter but maybe some frozen treats would be nice.

I know you have a bunch of tetras in there but I could only see a few. No, I don't need dots or circling; this time anyway, lol. Your tank looks great!
The tetras are all hiding among the vals, they've sorta done what skirts do and have picked out a spot individually and defend it from the others lol

Yeah, I've not seen anything promising yet for spawning, but that's up to them.
They eat just about everything I feed too which is great. I worried they'd be a little pickier on foods, but nothing is off limits for them. I even picked up some earthworms from the store I plan to try. The goldfish and hoplos have been enjoying those lol

1000131589.jpg
1000131594.jpg

And that dark marked cory. The markings in her dorsal fin are so so dark
1000131377.jpg

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Are your borelli domestic or wild caught ?
Unspecified, though I could email the seller and see if they know.

They came from Europe though, so I'd like to say captive.

Reactions: jake72

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Trimmed stargrass and tops of the vals.
1000131718.jpg

The apistos actually didn't seem to like that, because shortly after BOTH got bossy with the tankmates. Not excessive and it's been inconsistent, but something to monitor.

1000131722.jpg
1000131723.jpg

Check this out, freshwater sponge!
1000131920.jpg
1000131919.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Huh, I would not have guessed freshwater sponge. Of course, I had no idea that might be a possibility.

As for the crabby cichlids, nobody like change, especially territorial fish.

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
Unspecified, though I could email the seller and see if they know.

They came from Europe though, so I'd like to say captive.
They look off as a species which is why i asked. This was my male opal borelli:
borelli.jpg

Now there is a wide range in colouring from deep blue to blue-green to yellow-green and some have the opal pattern and others do not; but the fins look different.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
They look off as a species which is why i asked. This was my male opal borelli:
View attachment 232952

Now there is a wide range in colouring from deep blue to blue-green to yellow-green and some have the opal pattern and others do not; but the fins look different.
Does age have anything to do with it? Mine are young still.

Male has a looot of yellow in his fins.

Interestingly this shop has imported European fish, as was mine (not this shop) and their fish also have the very yellow fins.

This is where I got mine

But on their fb page they said that batch of fish shipment came from Europe, and that's as much as I know.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store