55 Gallon SW need help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

azfarid

AC Members
Mar 12, 2008
Skudai, Johore Bahru, Malaysia
Hi...... I have a 55 gallon saltwater tank with live rock and fish only. The age of the aquarium now 2 years ++. My fish at this moment okay and healthy. My question is how to remove a yellow color water. I have tried using carbon but it effect my PH and also KH. Any idea to resolve this problem without effecting PH & KH?:help:

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
have you tried larger more frequent water changes?

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Carbon shouldn't affect those to any great degree if rinsed well, may raise pH for a little bit. Get some ROX 0.8 carbon and I bet it clears up in a day. Or a few really big water changes.. I think the carbon is the cheaper option though.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Chemipure Elite works great for me and I have not noticed any affect to pH or alkalinity from using it.

azfarid

AC Members
Mar 12, 2008
Thanks guy.... I have another question, my LFS tell me that I cannot touch or disturb a sand in my tank because it's can make my tank water become worse (bad bacteria can spread in my tank). It's true? (sorry my English not so good).

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Better carbons, especially ones with low ash, shouldn't really raise pH--certainly not much. If yours is raising it that much, you need to use a different brand, if possible.

The sand vacuuming issue is more complex. If you vacuumed your sand from the start, you shouldn't stop, as that will eventually cause issues. If you setup your sand bed and have never vacuumed it previously, then it is best to leave it alone. Not only are bacteria and their metabolic products a potential issue, but you'll resolubilize phosphate and release nitrate from porewater, causing an algal outbreak/bloom.

Mustang Boy

AC Members
Aug 6, 2008
Tampa,FL
ok just a quick question are you sure its the water itself that is yellow and not the light making it look yellowish?

what lighting do you have and what bulbs

azfarid

AC Members
Mar 12, 2008
ok just a quick question are you sure its the water itself that is yellow and not the light making it look yellowish?

what lighting do you have and what bulbs
I'm using 2x54 watts t5 bulb which is white and blue color. When both of light turn on water look clear but when only white bulb turn on so my water tank look yellowish.

I also think maybe my light make the water look yellow color.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store