55g and 30g planted tanks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Great looking!

OT: how do you like the TV?

maxthedog123

Can't have too many Tiger Barbs...
Jun 6, 2007
Cincinnati, OH
50" Phillips plasma - my first big HD TV. I love it. Nothing like sports in 1080 definition.

maxthedog123

Jun 6, 2007
Cincinnati, OH
Typical for me, I keep tinkering with the planting. I've added quite a bit of wisteria to the top 30 and I finally got the lower 30 up and running. (You gotta love being able to take filter media from an established tank. Except for the wisteria, I've been able to plant both 30's with cuttings from my 55. There ARE benefits to having MTS!!

The results:

upper30g.JPG lower 30g.JPG

klfvilla

AC Members
Mar 15, 2007
Southern Ontario, Canada
Looks great. I really like the tiger barbs too. Very pretty. I have to ask what is probably a stupid question. Yesterday I picked up a 30g tank similar to yours, similar style simple iron stand. The top of the stand, where the tank goes, just has the metal around the edges, there is nothing to support the stand underneath its middle. Do you put a piece of wood there or what? True, I repeatedly failed math, but I don't understand how a filled tank would require support on only the outer edges.

maxthedog123

Jun 6, 2007
Cincinnati, OH
That is how my 30g stand is too. It's the typical iron stand you buy at the LFS. My 55g is a solid wood stand with nice storage underneath.

With any stand, you are only resting the tank on the frame - not the glass. It doesn't matter if the frame is solid - you aren't making contact with anything but the edges (frame).

What IS important is getting the tank level. My 55g is not perfectly level, but it's not twisting. In other words, it's slightly out of level front to back, but exactly the same on both sides. Some people also use a styrofoam sheet under it to help distribute the forces on the bottom of the tank. Use the search function and you should find some good advice.

Hollygirl

Overfilter and Understock
Sep 3, 2007
Chicago, Illinois
What kind of lighting do you have on the 55 gallon? By the way ... beautiful tanks!

maxthedog123

Jun 6, 2007
Cincinnati, OH
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store