55g re-set with angels & corys

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tarquin375

thats no moon, it's a space station
Sep 3, 2008
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Will
I have a standard twin tube flourescent reflector(AGA)with 32w T5s(? came with them, smaller than T12), the tag on the fixture says 67w. I also have two 40w colormax T12s but was afraid to use them because of the 67w on the tag... is this enough for low light plants? If so, Java fern and/or moss?...any others? I have wanted live plants but I have no budget for CO2 or ferts or a new light fixture....(or to by plants, really).....wil these plants grow well in gravel?

Wow, ya sold me on the Platys...they look great, you're right CrimsonBlush, my daughter will love them!!

I do like Plecos, how much driftwood would I need for a BN?

Waddaya think:

5 Angels
12 Corys(6 Albino, 6 Panda)
1 BN Pleco
10 Platys
10 Harleys

Too many?? Room for more?? Just right??

I have Tetramin tropical crisps, Tetramin tropical pellets and Tetraveggie algae wafers to feed this bunch......is this cool?

Thanks a million folks, I love this stuff!!

Last edited:

NewZealandFish

AC Members
Sep 2, 2010
New Zealand
Real Name
Matt
is this enough for low light plants? If so, Java fern and/or moss?...any others? I have wanted live plants but I have no budget for CO2 or ferts or a new light fixture........wil these plants grow well in gravel?
Well Java fern or Moss will grow very well on driftwood, and most low light plants will survive well even without Co2 and ferts, (but it would help to have Co2 and ferts) as long as the gravel is deep enough for them to root themselves then thats fine, plants arent very expensive either, and they look AAALLLOOOTTT better than the plastic/silk ones. I've never owned fake plants, but all of my tanks have real live plants in them and the fish love em!

Waddaya think:

5 Angels
1 BN Pleco
10 Platys
10 Harleys

It sounds alright, but if your not planning on breeding angels i'd cut down to 3 or 4 as its more unlikely for a breeding pair to form. The school of corys will be cool, they should school well with that amount and it will look great! I think you should have 2 BN's because they do enjoy the company of their own kind. You won't need 10 platys, as they will breed very fast and often, so 5 should be sufficient. The school of harleys is fine as it is.

I have Tetramin tropical crisps, Tetramin tropical pellets and Tetraveggie algae wafers to feed this bunch......is this cool?
I reckon you should add frozen bloodworms to the list too keep all of the fish in good health, it has high protein in and and you should feed them about 1/2 to 1 block of bloodworms to the fish every 2-4 days.

I do like Plecos, how much driftwood would I need for a BN?
It depends what you would like in your tank. Tanks with a main piece of driftwood looks great, but you would need one atleast 15cm long because the BN's grow up to 14cm long, the more the better.

Good luck and I hope you get it all together and pictures up soon! :thm:

CrimsonBlush

Attemping to post rather than lurk
Jun 15, 2008
Twin Cities
crimsonblush.deviantart.com
Real Name
Miah
I have a standard twin tube flourescent reflector(AGA)with 32w T5s(? came with them, smaller than T12), the tag on the fixture says 67w. I also have two 40w colormax T12s but was afraid to use them because of the 67w on the tag... is this enough for low light plants? If so, Java fern and/or moss?...any others? I have wanted live plants but I have no budget for CO2 or ferts or a new light fixture....(or to by plants, really).....wil these plants grow well in gravel?
I'm by no means an expert on plants, but most low light plants will at least survive in pretty low light situations. They might not grow a lot though.

Wow, ya sold me on the Platys...they look great, you're right CrimsonBlush, my daughter will love them!!
I'm glad you found what you're looking for! My little sister loves them too (She's 7.)

Waddaya think:

5 Angels
1 BN Pleco
10 Platys
10 Harleys

Thanks a million folks, I love this stuff!!
It sounds a little heavy, but you might be able to get away with large and frequent water changes. If that's not your cup of tea, I suggest skipping one of the angels and maybe a couple of the platies. (You would still need to do regular water changes, but it would be a bit less work.)

RhondaAnn

AC Members
Feb 4, 2009
That will be one busy tank there... I do agree, the platties would be a nice addition. If you do a planted tank l bet you will have more than you bargained for even with angels in the tank. Good luck, and I'm looking forward to photos.

tarquin375

Sep 3, 2008
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Will
Thanks everyone for the advice.

I really am not in a position right now to do live plants, the tank has only had two zebra danios in it for months now and I just recently moved it and want to get fish in it, if I go live plants, it could be quite a while before I can get fish (I'm on a fixed income, disabled). I know that some are inexpensive but when I do live plants, I want to do it with better lighting and a better setup for them(substrate, fertz, CO2, etc.). I do appreciate the advice though. Incidentally, I like my fake plants, I was very selective when I bought them (almost two years ago) and I think they look nice and so does my daughter.

Waddaya think, take 2:

4 angels
12 corys(6 albino, 6 panda)
1 BN pleco
6 platys
6 harleys
6 neon rainbows
and of course.....my fake plants...lol

tarquin375

Sep 3, 2008
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Will
Well, I think I'll go with the revised list..I'll kepp ya'll updated...thanks everyone.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store