55g tang ideas

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
To be honest, the most colorful tangs are featherfins but those are not recommended for smaller, community tanks and are also not seen in the hobby very often.

What I love about tangs are their subtle colors and details. If you are looking for a flashy cichlid setup maybe mbuna is better suited for you...

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
well. i choose tangs for their odd behaviors, and i love to watch mine, i just am looking for a lil color to mix up the yellows and tans. i can buy featherfins from daves they are a lil costly but ill have some money soon so that wont be a problem. but i dont think i could house some featherfins in my tank with the current stock i have in mind anyway. i need more fishtanks.......

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Featherfins need a MUCH larger tank than a 55, and few or no tankmates. They are the fish that build huge circular nests in the sand. If there isn't plenty of space other fish will be killed.

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
dang. i like the sand dwellers too, the ones at daves are pretty nice. but im trying to avoid looking at them bcuz i know i will want to get one.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Featherfins need a MUCH larger tank than a 55, and few or no tankmates. They are the fish that build huge circular nests in the sand. If there isn't plenty of space other fish will be killed.
:iagree: 100%

dang. i like the sand dwellers too, the ones at daves are pretty nice. but im trying to avoid looking at them bcuz i know i will want to get one.
Show some restraint. Your options for this tank size have already been laid out for you, just pick a stocking a stick with it.

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
yeah, there are just so many options. ive got an idea what i want. i need more thanks. sand sifters will have too wait for another day

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
What has been suggested are stocking options that will work. You can follow the advice given, or put anything you want into the tank and find out why it won't work. The "problem" with keeping fish (particularly cichlids) in aquariums is that they have evolved in a much larger environment. Their instincts are geared to the amount of territory they need to survive and reproduce. They cannot consciously recognize that their tankmates aren't a threat, there is/will be sufficient food, and the aquarium keeper wants them to coexist peacefully because there is no need to fight. It's up to the keeper to research, then choose the species whose requirements are limited to the available space and work from there to avoid problems. Otherwise you'll just be repeating someone else's mistakes.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
What has been suggested are stocking options that will work. You can follow the advice given, or put anything you want into the tank and find out why it won't work. The "problem" with keeping fish (particularly cichlids) in aquariums is that they have evolved in a much larger environment. Their instincts are geared to the amount of territory they need to survive and reproduce. They cannot consciously recognize that their tankmates aren't a threat, there is/will be sufficient food, and the aquarium keeper wants them to coexist peacefully because there is no need to fight. It's up to the keeper to research, then choose the species whose requirements are limited to the available space and work from there to avoid problems. Otherwise you'll just be repeating someone else's mistakes.

Good post. :thm:

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
yeah i figured out most of that a long time ago with cichlids. for such simple minded creatures they can be so complex.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store