6$ discus?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NatakuTseng

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts
Jan 3, 2004
Vermont
cichliddomain.com
Ok, hans you do realize the care that goes into taking care of those fish right? A 3inch discus is still a very young fish, which at that price is probably a cull from asia, probably footballed. Young discus really need a high water tempature, at least 84 degrees, preferably around 86. To grow properly they need a high protien diet, and most importantly clean water. Frankly I think you are pretty much sentencing the thing to death in a tank with the barbs, who most likely will harass it, adding to the stress already effecting the fish because of being moved and will be very likely to get sick. A bacterial infection would probably be the first thing to effect it. Discus are pretty shy eaters, those tiger barbs will outcompete it every time.

Last edited:

Hans

I will eat your fish.
Oct 24, 2003
Gieboldehausen, DE
www.brianhanley.com
hey nakutaknowitall, did i say tiger barbs? they are odessa, and ill show you a pic of the lil blue discus guy in a year when hes the size of a dinner plate after i rescued him from some crap store that just opened up and didnt know its worth. my temp will be at 78, ill feed him omega one flakes and new life spectrum pellets, and the ociasional color bits and mysis.

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
Hans, the temperature really needs to be higher, especially for your discus. Temperature is the one thing that I don't think you can skimp on, young discus need it. The reason is their immune systems haven't developed very well and won't until they get in the 4.5-5'' range, the heat boosts what they have for an immune system.

Under most circumstances, young discus will not survive 78F very long. They will get some disease, usually a bacterial infection, and, by the time you notice, it's too late to help them. So, for the discus, get her temperature up to at least 82F, even though I don't think that'll still be enough but it's better than nothing(like nataku already said, 84-86 is best for young discus). Trust me, you won't regret it because, if she is happy and healthy, in no time you will fall in love will her.

Hans

I will eat your fish.
Oct 24, 2003
Gieboldehausen, DE
www.brianhanley.com
bah, if it was from the wild, i would agree, but its already exploring and has quite an apetite! these tank raised discus are a sinch

PumaWard

Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
He was most likely raised in 88F water hans. Discus hatcheries keep their tanks at a minimum of 82F... and they can get away with that with younger discus more due to the fact that they do 100% daily water changes in every tank (usually they have special set ups that do this automatically).

I tried what your doing more than once... and I lost 15 discus due to, at least in part, lower temperatures than what was needed.. the difference is I didn't know any better... you do. There's a rarity that she'll survive 78F... but you're stacking the odds against her. I'm not trying to lie to you or be over dramatic, she WILL be happier and and much, much, much more healthy if the she's in higher temperatures. Her immune system isn't equipt to handle the temperatures that low... adults, under most circumstances couldn't handle that.

PumaWard

Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
I don't think it will be good for them long term, but it won't hurt them short term until you can find a more suitable tank for the discus...

You should also think of returning the discus if you really can't provide a suitable home. I hate to be so crude :(, but it's not much of a rescue if you can't provide a proper home.

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
84 is necessary

You need to get the temp up to 84. Really.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store