6 month tank. 1-2ppm ammonia, 0 nitrite

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
What hood do you have?

msage

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
I'm not sure if there are multiple types, but it was included in the aqueon 10 tank. Penguin 200 a better filter than aquaclear 20, or 30?

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
It will process more ammonia in a given period of time. A 200 is about 9.5" wide.

TaylorM237

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Real Name
Taylor
Try getting Ammonia reducer biomedia, they help lower the overall ammonia in the tank, but it allows the ammonia removing bacteria to strive still.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
All you need is Prime....

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
any chemical filtration media designed to remove ammonia will only hurt matters. because the ammonia is being 'taken away' from the bacteria, the bacteria will not populate to a level necessary to deal with the fish's wastes, and you will be forced to continuously use that ammonia removing product to keep your tank and fish healthy.

my tanks see nothing but Prime as far as chemicals go, i keep to a regular large volume water change schedule, and my fish are healthy and happy. less is more, and the KISS method is best.

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
Sent from my Droid Incredible using the Monster Aquaria Network app

ssuchem13

Tower Tank Master
Oct 4, 2011
chicagoland
Real Name
Eric
any chemical filtration media designed to remove ammonia will only hurt matters. because the ammonia is being 'taken away' from the bacteria, the bacteria will not populate to a level necessary to deal with the fish's wastes, and you will be forced to continuously use that ammonia removing product to keep your tank and fish healthy.

my tanks see nothing but Prime as far as chemicals go, i keep to a regular large volume water change schedule, and my fish are healthy and happy. less is more, and the KISS method is best.
yes, prime is good, but for a long term solution more biological filtration is needed, you may need to do more frequent water changes on the tank. look for bio media that does not remove ammonia by itself, basically the little porous beads are what you want, as far as the whole bio wheel thing, personally i dont think it makes that huge of a difference over a regular filter fitted with some bio media. i think honestly in your case give ur tank a thorough gravel vacuum and do big water changes and give the tank some time to build up more beneficial bacteria.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store