65 Gallon Planted Tank - Need Help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jtino

AC Members
Feb 26, 2022
I have had 65 gallon planted tank with 5 Red line sharks and 7 Serpae tetras for at least 2 months now. At first i thought i did a fishless cycle successfully, but now im not so sure. It seems like every couple days i get an ammonia spike and sometimes a nitrite spike. At first i thought it was a shock to the filter with the bioload, but i continue to get these spikes. When this happens, i do a 25-40% water change, but i know this puts stress onthe fish when i do this ever couple days. they seem dull in color and they sometimes go up and down against the glass. i also dont feed them as much because i know that could be a result in these spikes but i still get the ammonia and nitrite. my goal is to have a total of 12 serpae tetras and 5 red line sharks, but because i think my fish are so stressed i dont think i should add anymore fish. Everyone i have asked in fish stores and forums has said this stocking is alright for a 65 gallon planted tank.

I have a fluval 407 canister filter that has not been cleaned for the 2 months ive had it because i keep doing water changes. i use Seachem Prime and stability when doing water changes and i also have a powerhead to increase oxygen levels.

I'm just trying not to stress my fish out so mush, which i think i am doing based on they're behavior and color. when i do feed them they all go for the food. Please help! Looking for any type of feedback!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Any chance of more details, as many as possible?

any sort of maintenance you do, anything you add to the system (fertilisers for the plants for example), lighting used, water change frequency and amount, the type of water conditioner used, the type of test you are doing, what you have in the tank other than the fish, type of hardscape, list of plants, type of substrate,

Maybe say how yo did a fishless cycle also.

anything you can say might give clues to what might be happening.

Reactions: dudley

jtino

AC Members
Feb 26, 2022
the plants i have are 2 amazon swords, some java ferns, and vallis. i do use fertilizer for java fern and root tabs for the others. due to ammonia and sometimes nitrite spikes i do a partial water change every couple days between 25-40% depending on the readings. i use Seachem Prime when changing water. i have sand substrate.
hope this helps

Last edited:

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
a water change should not increase ammonia, nitrite or nitrate, unless there is some coming from your tap, so maybe test tap water before doing anything else

my instict is that you are not cycled, I'd slow down or skip ferts and root tabs for now unless you start to see deficiencies in your plants. if they were new, you may be seeing dye off from old emerged leaves as the plants convert to submerged growth, this will increase ammonia in your tank.

Prime will make chloramines safe from tap water for aquariums by binding chloramines to ammonium, which some (like API) test kits detect as ammonia.

maybe compare your tank water vs. tap water's hardness readings too.

I don't think the stress is from anything cycle related, not ammonia or nitrite, but more likely temperature or hardness differences.

jtino

AC Members
Feb 26, 2022
my Ph level from my tap water and tank water are both around 7.6. how can i test the hardness of my water?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Hardness test, KH and GH
Most large complete tests contain them,

Or https://www.chewy.com/api-gh-kh-general-carbonate-hardness/dp/121951 as an example.

If pH is about the same, hardness likely is unless you have a lot of dissolved CO2 in the water, if you ket the water sit overnight or more then test the pH it will give you a better idea if there's negligible change in hardness.

swiftluciano

Registered Member
Nov 22, 2023
geometry-dash.io
Among my plant collection are two Amazon swords, a few Java ferns, and vallis. Fertilizer is used for java ferns, while root tabs are used for the others. As a result of rises in ammonia and nitrite, I perform a partial water change every two days, ranging from 25% to 40%, depending on the measurements. Any time I need to change the water, I use Seachem Prime. I must say, my substrate is sand.
I trust this is of assistance.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store