65 tall South America biotope riparium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stratusfearrr

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
i have had this display set up for a few months. my idea is for a loose interpretation of a South American riverbank habitat.

all of the tank system components and stand--less the Teklight--were easy to find and pretty economical. the aquarium is a 65 gallon Aqueon with top rim popped off.

that Echinodorus flower spike is reaching way out into room. the other plants still need to grow in some more. i used Riparium Supply stuff to plant all of the emergent plants. the underwater plants are planted into pool filter sand. they get bi-weekly ferts and Excel every day. the underwater plants do more or less ok like this because the water is mostly shaded by the emergent stuff. i like the mix of emergent plants, but i need to work on the underwater scape some more.

i'll post more specs later.

hydrophyte
i use the same 'flourish excel' for my tank every other day. will my plants grow much better if i use it every day? or what do you recommend on dosage? i just bought it.
my tank is a 46 gallon bow front.

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
i use the same 'flourish excel' for my tank every other day. will my plants grow much better if i use it every day? or what do you recommend on dosage? i just bought it.
my tank is a 46 gallon bow front.
i just follow the manufacturer's recommended dosage. i believe the instructions indicate that you can dose every day.

i don't know that my underwater plants really need the extra CO2, because are pretty sparse. i mostly add it to suppress algae, which does grow up form time to time in the front of the display.

hydrophyte

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
Here's the stock list for that tank:

• Ancistrus sp. pleco (1
  • Apistogramma sp. (4)
  • Hyphessobrycon megalopterus--black phantom tetra (7)
  • Hemigrammus erythrozonus--glowlight tetra (5)
  • Puntius titteya--cherry barb (5)
  • Corydoras pygmaeusa--dwarf cory (4)

Hydrophyte

biggdadyapisto

AC Members
Mar 31, 2009
Florida
www.myspace.com
i just follow the manufacturer's recommended dosage. i believe the instructions indicate that you can dose every day.

i don't know that my underwater plants really need the extra CO2, because are pretty sparse. i mostly add it to suppress algae, which does grow up form time to time in the front of the display.

hydrophyte

be carefull on some plants as it has a tendency to make them melt seems my valls and my pygmy chains dont care for it.

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
how did you get the top plastic ring off?
i don't recommend using my methodology, which involved almost everything in my toolbox. i was lucky to avoid slicing my hand open.

after i had the job all done, i was filled in on the correct way to remove that plastic rim--by shearing away the plastic all around the top outside with a block plane.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store