$7 roselines back at Petsmart

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cradlefan

AC Members
Jul 24, 2008
Real Name
Kris
6th avenue aquarium in San Francisco of 6th ave and clement

Be careful getting anything from this store. The fish are way overstocked, not taken care of, and they have no guarantee of their livestock. I filed a BBB claim on them back in 2003 or thereabouts, they never even replied to the Better Business Bureau......I got word back from the BBB which stated they had many claims against them for the conditions in which the livestock are kept. I know they have a lot to choose from at good prices, and the equipment ustairs is decent and usually priced well, I wouldn't personally buy ANYTHING from 6th Ave Aquariums in S.F. I think as far as aquarists are concerned, these are exactly the places we should be boycotting......Down with 6th Ave Aquariums.

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
Be careful getting anything from this store. The fish are way overstocked, not taken care of, and they have no guarantee of their livestock. I filed a BBB claim on them back in 2003 or thereabouts, they never even replied to the Better Business Bureau......I got word back from the BBB which stated they had many claims against them for the conditions in which the livestock are kept. I know they have a lot to choose from at good prices, and the equipment ustairs is decent and usually priced well, I wouldn't personally buy ANYTHING from 6th Ave Aquariums in S.F. I think as far as aquarists are concerned, these are exactly the places we should be boycotting......Down with 6th Ave Aquariums.
It's nice to see that there are still people that won't sell their morals for a discount price.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Wasn't $7 .... It was $5! I just got (5) of them and they are now acclimating. Regular price was $10. Saw them marked at $5 and couldn't resist getting a few. The hard part was not buying the whole group of them. :)

ssuchem13

Tower Tank Master
Oct 4, 2011
chicagoland
Real Name
Eric
i agree they do over stock the fish, but they seem to have a fast turn over. i can see your position and it is a valid one, but i have not had any deaths other than a guppy from there. but i really dont see much good in boycotting there. if anything i guess i could rationalize saving fish from there. , just my view tho

Steelviper

AC Members
Feb 23, 2012
Yeah they are $4.25 with a pals card here in my area(socal) I bought 10 of them. LOL. All looked real good and are doing fine. I have them in a 100 gal. The fish run about an inch to three inches. As far as Petsmart over stocking fish. They do, but i agree they sell a lot of fish. So their turn around rate is high.

constevens

AC Members
Sep 7, 2011
Colorado
Real Name
Conway
I'm sorry, but I just don't get what's so appealing about these fish. I don't think they're pretty at all and they get big.
Like everything in this hobby it personal opinion. There are many fish I would never own as I find them not my cup of tea. BUT the Roseline shark aka Torpedo (Denisonii) Barb, is decent fish with great appeal to many. They dont get as large as some only about 5 to 6 inches... I know of alot of fish that easily out mass it. While they may get some length they dont get huge in size. They stay fairly slender and long. Thus the torpedo shape. They can work quite well in a planted tank with other small fish. Ive got several and even have them doing well with Inverts with no issues. I think the adult coloration of the bright red is quite nice. This is just some of why people like them. in a nice school they are pretty cool. They like to tag along with my rummy nose.

cradlefan

AC Members
Jul 24, 2008
Real Name
Kris
i agree they do over stock the fish, but they seem to have a fast turn over. i can see your position and it is a valid one, but i have not had any deaths other than a guppy from there. but i really dont see much good in boycotting there. if anything i guess i could rationalize saving fish from there. , just my view tho

I like the idea of saving fish from a death, but I don't want to add to their profit margins. Try and go by that store when they run out of incense lol. The smell will knock you over. I had a problem with people netting their own fish firstly......I have seen people try and net fish and squish them against the glass. The store employess just laugh, like it's a game. I know netting fish is not a science, but trust me, not everyone should be netting their own fish at a store. If you haven't had much practice, you could really do a lot of damage and add to the stress of all the other fish in the tank. There is a right way to net a fish without stressing them out, or killing the fish in the process..... Once I tried to tell them that some of the neon tetras were dead in the tank and a few of the neon tetras probably had neon tetra disease.... they were turning white and were not swimming well. The guy I talked to said, "That's OK, they cheap." I think he was referring to the price he pays for them, not the cost to us(either way, the cost shouldn't be the issue). It never occured to him I was trying to tell him so he could take them out, that way none of the public purchased sick fish. He was interested in the profit margin. The store buys them cheap, why care? I like the stores that have the customer in mind, and that is not the 6th Ave Aquarium. If nobody bought fish there, they wouldn't be in business, then you wouldn't have to worry about saving them......

ssuchem13

Tower Tank Master
Oct 4, 2011
chicagoland
Real Name
Eric
I like the idea of saving fish from a death, but I don't want to add to their profit margins. Try and go by that store when they run out of incense lol. The smell will knock you over. I had a problem with people netting their own fish firstly......I have seen people try and net fish and squish them against the glass. The store employess just laugh, like it's a game. I know netting fish is not a science, but trust me, not everyone should be netting their own fish at a store. If you haven't had much practice, you could really do a lot of damage and add to the stress of all the other fish in the tank. There is a right way to net a fish without stressing them out, or killing the fish in the process..... Once I tried to tell them that some of the neon tetras were dead in the tank and a few of the neon tetras probably had neon tetra disease.... they were turning white and were not swimming well. The guy I talked to said, "That's OK, they cheap." I think he was referring to the price he pays for them, not the cost to us(either way, the cost shouldn't be the issue). It never occured to him I was trying to tell him so he could take them out, that way none of the public purchased sick fish. He was interested in the profit margin. The store buys them cheap, why care? I like the stores that have the customer in mind, and that is not the 6th Ave Aquarium. If nobody bought fish there, they wouldn't be in business, then you wouldn't have to worry about saving them......
i agree but the place is always busy when i go in, so i doubt we could ever get everyone to boycott it. and i really like the fact that i get to net my own fish. but i do see what you are saying about some people not knowing how to do it and hurt live stock in the process. its an unfortunate situation to be in.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I haven't been to 6th Ave (yet?) but have heard it's really about the price with them, not health or quality. I have bought from "lesser" stores on occasion with mixed results. Sounds like they're in the "must quarantine" group of places like most, there's almost nowhere I don't QT from. But the warehouse type of sellers is also where many LFS get their fish, it's a crap shoot...& not 1 I'm willing to gamble much on.

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
I'm up to 18 of these guys now, growing them out then they'll head to my 180g.

How were they $3.49?

Normally 9.09 and half off ($9.09/2=$4.545)
Normally $7 at the Petsmarts here, and half off, so $3.49

I'm sorry, but I just don't get what's so appealing about these fish. I don't think they're pretty at all and they get big.
You must not have seen them in person. An adult roseline in good health is pretty amazing. Easily one of my favorite non-cichlid fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store