75 gallon Planted Office Tank Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

thepandafactor

AC Members
Jul 31, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I only have limited experience with planted tanks so take this with a grain of salt, but I noticed that this tank was for your office and you are always trying ways to keep it looking nice and algae free. I would just try to make sure the fish and plants are thriving before you try to combat the algae and change things around totally. The best way to control algae that I have found is to have a high density of healthy plants, and a couple healthy algae-eating stuff like shrimps, fish, snails, etc.

Plants and algae are very similar and if you mess around too much with keeping the algae down, it may also hurt your plants and do more harm than good ultimately. Maybe you could put it in the corner or somewhere not so visible while random algaes grow and the tank is starting up, and then when everything is more settled you can focus on the presentation and making it look nice.

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
WOW, I know the feeling algae sux. Do you have any fast growing plants in here? What is the remaing plant list? What do you have access to? (I'm under the impression you have a planted tank at home from a past thread somewhere. I could be wrong.)

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
It's been nearly a month since the last update, I hope the tank is doing better for you & you've been so busy admiring it and trimming it that you just don't have time to talk about it! :)

srcarden

Registered Member
Sep 3, 2010
What a great way to get the practical view of what all the books have to say. I am just starting a 75g freshwater planted tank in my home office, and this thread was a great source of information. Fortunately my plants don't arrive for a while yet, so I have some time to assimilate everything and try to avoid problems in advance. I hope we get to see some new shots soon. Thank you for all the effort.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store