75 Gallon Stocklist?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
2 spots should be fine with the blenny since they will not occupy the same space/level of the tank. Note that 2 spots are not one of the easier fish to keep alive long term.

So after doing some research today I realized that the list I put together last night wasn't that great. What with Dottybacks killing shrimp, and Anthias being recommended a larger tank. I think I've come up with a more suitable stocking list, it seems like I have a lot of fish but with the majority only being around the 3" mark is it actually overstocked?

1x Kole Tang 7
3x Black Bar Chromis 8 (Most likely will only be 1 left when all is said and done)
2x Clownfish 6
1x Firefish 1
1x Tailspot Blenny (I think the Blenny/Goby combo is alright as far as aggression goes?)3
1x Twospot Goby (Read above) 5 (later addition as the sandbed needs some life so it can feed. may want to wait even longer.)
1x Carpenter Flasher Wrasse 2
1x Royal Gramma (Not sure if he will be too aggressive or not?) 4

Then for inverts
1/2x Scarlett Cleaner Shrimp
3x Peppermint Shrimp
1x Green Emerald Crab
1/?x Clams (I'm thinking Maxima, but as this is my first Clam I'm not sure what would be best?) Maxima would be fine.
Whats left of my Nassarius/Trochus/Cerith snail population

What order would be suggested for adding the fish in? I was thinking the Kole Tang and Royal Gramma would be the last two in hopes that the more peaceful fish can get their territories established beforehand. Lastly, sorry for jumping around so much, but I think I'm finally happy with my choices of fish/inverts.

Amaroq

AC Members
Dec 14, 2008
Your tank is looking great.
Thanks! :)

After some more reading you are in fact right on the money Greech about the Two Spot Goby. In which case I will pass, perhaps I could replace it with a Pink Spotted Goby? They appear to be a hardier species from the little reading I've done on them.

If the Chromis are just going to kill themselves then I'll avoid them all together, I also read that some have observed the Black Bar Chromis to act more like a Damsel and be less peaceful. In which case I'd like to swap it out for something else, I really like the Greenbanded Goby but I don't want to be getting too many bottom dwelling fish in the hopes to avoid any aggression issues. Would I possibly be able to swap the Chromis out for a Longfin Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus rubriventralis)? Do I need to worry about aggression between the Fairy and Flasher wrasses?

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
The 2 wrasse will be fine. Gobies generally tolerate each other pretty well. Many share the same burrow and pistol in the wild. Pink spots do tend to get a little bigger than most gobies and can be a little more aggressive. I prefer the yasha, rose and randalls type/size gobies in a community setting.

Chromis are damsels but then again so are clownfish :). I think you are making good choices and it is great that you are doing up front reserach. Keep it up!

Amaroq

AC Members
Dec 14, 2008
So it seems there are two sides to whether a sand sifting Goby is good or not, on one side it keeps the sand looking pearly white, but on the other hand it eats all the microfauna in your sand bed. Is the microfauna (ie bristleworms) really that important? I've seen tanks set up with 100% dry rock and seemed perfectly healthy? Its not like you can purchase bristleworms and similar like you can with Pods to stock your tank with them. So while I like the idea of having these little guys in the sandbed, I'm not quite sure the role they provide? If its just to keep my sand bed oxygenated, the sand sifting goby would do a much better job would he not?

Greech, I checked out those smaller gobies you mentioned, I really like the Yasha! In fact over the last few days I've been reading about them and pistol shrimp and the possibility of putting some in my tank. I think they would add a nice little variety to the tank and the symbiosis between the two is awesome! (I'm an Ecology kind of guy, I can't help it :D ) I like it so much in fact I was thinking of putting two pairs of goby/shrimp in the tank. Due to their rather small size I can't imagine they would produce much more bioload than a single 6" goby. My only concern is if the shrimp will harm my other inverts? He will not be allowed entry into my tank if so! haha I've seen recommendation to stick with the species Alpheus randalli for the shrimp as they seem to be the most harmless, at 2"s I can't imagine them being much more threat to my Cleaner Shrimp than any other shrimp out there, right? Now I wouldn't necessarily mind if they took out my Peppermint Shrimp after I caught the little jerks eating my new Hammer coral! :swear:I've started to throw in food for them specifically now, but if I see another polyp harmed I'll be toying with the idea of just flushing them! hahaha

I was also doing some more reading on the Wrasses and I think it would be in my best interest to do a male/female pair so the male's colours really show and don't wash out at all. I think I'll be sticking with the Carpenters Flasher Wrasse but depending on how difficult it is to locate a male and female I may or may not go with one of the first pairs I find.

So this is where I sit now in regards to my stocklist, they are also listed in order of addition to the tank.

1xPurple Firefish (Nemateleotris decora)
2xCarpenter Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus carpenteri)
1xYasa Goby (Stonogobiops yasha)
1xOrange Spotted Goby (Amblyeleotris guttata)
1x Tail Spot Blenny (Ecsenius stigmatura)
1x Royal Gramma (Gramma loretto)
2x Black Clowns (Amphiprion ocellaris var.)
1x Kole Tang (Ctenochaetus strigosus)

I think I'll add both the Gobies and their shrimp at the same time so they can both claim a section of the tank with hopes that there would be less aggression between them, does that sound logical?

The invert list will remain at where it was before with the exception that two Red Banded Snapping Shrimp (Alpheus randalli) with be added. Once again I'll ask though, are they actually reef safe or are they like my Peppermint Shrimp and are 'reef safe?

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
As long as you are maintaining your tank, the sand sifting won't be a problem. My problem with sand sifting gobies is the sand storms they create and covering the rocks and corals with sand. You can actually buy bristle worms, micro stars, etc. A pistol shrimp and a goby or a couple of pairs of these will also keep the sandbed pretty clean. There are also cucumbers (tiger tails and the like) that will help keep the sand bed clean but will not eat worms, stars, etc. Note that the sand sifting will not kill beneficial bacteria which is what colonizes on dry/live rock. Lots of worms/stars/pods will find there way into the rocks as well and be safe from the goby.

Stick with the candy/red stripe pistols or tiger pistols and you should be fine. They may pop off some rounds if someone comes knocking on their door but should otherwise not bother anyone. Very funny creatures to watch. Quite the OCD architects.

Adding the gobies/pistols together would be best but not required.

List looks good. IMO, you will eventually need to find a bigger home for the Kole but it will be fine for a while. Again, JMO.

Amaroq

AC Members
Dec 14, 2008
First off I wanna say thank you Greech for your continues help! It's really appreciated to have someone to bounce questions off of :)

Through my readings I've come across I'm changing my stocklist slightly. The Emerald Crab is gone; I've read too many threads of them getting a taste for meatier items as they get bigger and I'm not willing to let a $8 crab eat any of my corals or small fish. While I like the tang I think I'll remove it, just watching how active my two 3" Lamarck's Angels are I can't imagine how stir crazy a 7" Kole Tang would be in a 75. I guess I'm becoming an honorary member of the Tang Police Club eh? As I slowly transition my understanding of aquariums from FW to SW I see huge differences between the two. Like using animals to create an almost niche like existence in the aquarium, where almost everything plays a role in both minor and major ways. Compared to FW where for the most part its just "I like this, this, and this, so I'll put them in a tank together". I've found even just people using snails or shrimp for a CUC in FW is relatively uncommon.

So in regards to the tank this is where I stick with my stocklist, I'm pretty happy with it, quite peaceful and in my opinion pretty well stocked. Realistically I could probably squeeze in another fish or two but I'd rather not be stocked to the brim. Fish will be added in this order.

3x Carpenter Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus carpenteri)
1x Purple Firefish (Nemateleotris decora)
1x Yasha Goby (Stonogobiops yasha)
1x Orange Spotted Goby (Amblyeleotris guttata)
1x Tail Spot Blenny (Ecsenius stigmatura)
1x Royal Gramma (Gramma loretto)
2x Black Clowns (Amphiprion ocellaris var.)

Depending on how 'crowded' the tank looks at this point I may or may not put in one last fish. I'd really like to get a Mandarin Dragonette for its colour, size, and peaceful demeanor. If I was to get one though it would have to be ORA, I won't purchase one that doesn't feed on pellets/frozen foods. I don't think need to worry much over the fact that it would the last addition as far as aggression goes right? I realize they're quite a docile species but I won't be adding one before my pod population has a chance to fully establish and stabilize so should I worry at all?

Invert list:
3x Peppermint Shrimp
1or2x Cleaner Shrimp
2x Pistol Shrimp
2x Clams (Maxima & Squamosa, eventually)
1x Tuxedo Urchin (Should I worry at all about it possibly damaging more fleshy LPS like brains or fungia plates?)

Invert wise it looks like I have a real passion for shrimps!

I'd like to get a little advise on lighting if at all possible. Currently my ATI fixture is running two Blue + and two Aquablue Special, that being said, I hate the Aquablue Specials colours. When its just the two running everything in the tank looks washed out and too white. So for my bulb replacements I'm thinking either these two combos.

Front
Blue +
GE6500
Blue +
Purple +

or

Front
Blue +
Aquablue Special
Blue+
Purple +

My main concern is for coral growth, with colour being a close second. I'd rather have a slightly more blue tank than a slightly more white tank. So with that being said which would you recommend?

On an unrelated note I've noticed my Nassarius Snails have been dropping quite a few egg sacks, I don't expect much (if any) to survive but its interesting to see. I can count four separate egg locations, so maybe I'll get a couple extra out of it. So far no one has ate them with the oldest eggs being around 5 days old now.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
I you like blue, just get 4 blue plus and call it a day. The purple plus are actually kind of pink (not my taste) but a lot of people use them as we'll as the KZ Figi purples. The Coral plus is another option which is kind of a blend of the aquablue and the blue plus. I have tried your second option and am not a fan. I might go with option 1 but I would replace the purple plus with another blue plus.

Stock list looks much better. Was going to mention the tang but I don't have a badge yet to call anyone out :).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store