75 with 14" jaguar cichlid

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
You look like you are taking care of your fish, which is great, but that tank is just too small. :( You can already see where is spine is curved from not being able to turn around properly in the 55 gallon. While he WILL be able to turn around in a 75, the damage has been done.

Fish are meant to swim, not hover in one spot. So it would be ideal if you could provide him more swimming space. I would have gone for a 120 gallon tank, 6 feet long. When you think about it its not much more expensive than a 75 gallon setup. Maybe twice the price, but its worth it in the end.

I am a firm believer that people should not keep particular fish if they cannot provide an adaquate home for them. A 14" fish (that will likely grow larger, mind you, if it has not been stunted) will need a larger tank.

The 75 is better than the 55, but I think you should start working on upgrading the tank size again, since it will probebly take a while to do it.

;)
-Diana

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
i already know the setup is not ideal. a 75 should be bare minimum if i do it right, which i will. he will get bigger, im hoping for 18". i also believe people should not get into fish they cannot deal with, but i already have the fish and will the best for him i can and from my research the 75 will work. i wanted to get a 120 (48x24x24) but the 75 was the biggest thing i can afford, and my dad isnt comfortable with anything bigger than the 75 being added to my room, which is on the third floor and already has a 55, a 40, and 2 10 gallons, may add 2 20s by the end of the summer. if he went into the basement where i could have a bigger tank, he would be neglected (out of sight, out of mind). the back curvature is greatly exaggerated in that pic, it is barely noticable in person.

tonytheboss1

AC Members
May 16, 2006
N.Y.C.
Real Name
TONY
:cool: I do believe rbishop was giving you very sound advice. 'Cichlasoma Managuense' (Jaguar or Managua Cichlid) is a very large fish. Adults can exceed 19"(females slightly smaller). They require alot of space to thrive & unfortunately 75gl is way short!! I applaud your efforts on maintaining ideal water 'quality' but I'm talking 'QUANTITY'. 120gl min. w/ 2 or 300gl being more sufficient. Think of it this way, you could 'survive' in a closet if someone opened the door now & then & threw you some food / water ect. You might even be able to turn around in the same place or have some light to look at a couple of things but wouldn't you be ecstatic :dance: if you could run from one end of the yard to the other or jump up as high as you could?? My point is sure the 'Jag' can survive where you have him but he can't 'THRIVE' no more than you could if raised in that closet. I understand your situation w/ the folks at home, I was young once too (it was a long time ago but I still remember)!Maybe you could convince them to place a large tank in a family area as like a showpiece. If not please think about trying to find smeone w/ a suitable home for that 'Jag' so he can 'thrive' not just 'survive'. Best of Luck

reptileguy2727

Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
i understand the huge difference between living and thriving, i usually have to explain it to people. i do think the 75 is pretty good. im not saying it wouldnt be better if he was in a bigger tank, of course it would be, but i cant really do anything about it. this is the best i can do and i think it is very good, much better than anynone i know with cichlids. he is staying in the 75 and it is a good enough home.

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
:troll: ? seriously, just because you want something or think it is best if he's in your care in too small a tank, does'nt mean your right. theres better homes that that fish would rather be in.Today I saw a huge aqaurium at a bass pro shop that had native fish in it, and believe me, a lot of the fish there were at least the size of what your jag will get to if not more and they were using the space, and I doubt any one of them would be able to live anywhere near comfortably in a 75g.Your fish definetly needs at least a 200g no doubt about that, maybe a heated pond(of about that size) if you can't get a tank that size.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
reptileguy2727 said:
... my understanding with stunting in a small tank is that is usually water quality that inhibits growth. in the wild when the dry season hits and water volumes are dropping, all the fish need to stop growing in an effort for the most fish to make it through. to inhibit growth the increased nitrates inhibit the growth. many/most/all (not sure which) fish give off growth inhibiting pheromones and in the dry season they are even more concentrated than normal. so in a tnak when you do relatively infrequent water changes of lets say 25% once a month, or have a small tank for your stocking level, you are mimicing the dry season of the wild (without the increase in water temp or actual drop in water level). whereas if you do a 50% water change once a week like i have been doing for a while, you are greatly reducing the levels of growth inhibiting chemicals in the water, allowing for superior growth. all my tanks get this water changing schedule and my goldfish and platies are also exhibiting amazing growth and condition. if anyone sees any errors in what i have said please let me know. or if you have any questions on it just ask.
Well I am not the biologist or chemist that some who frequent here are, and I hope they will post to this thread so we can all learn. My gut feel and experience doesn't let me feel comfortable with your explanation.

It kind of translates to "if I maintain poor water and let the nitrates climb, the fish will stay small enough to live in a small space".

For me, your logic falls apart since the infrequent water changes/letting nitrates climb would also let other contaminates climb and cause stress and health issues, and I would susspect some of those may be factors in growth deformities.

I support, avidly, large frequent water changes, but not to offset the physical space for physical movement and behavorial aspects. I know there are conflicting recommendations out there and the " I did this and got away with it posts", but they are not to be followed, IMO, and create more harm to the fish, which usually counters with the deep felt desire to have an awesome fish to exhibit. One of the interesting facts I have noticed that many size recommendations for tanks usually are good for juvies or growout to the onset of adult stage, but do not really reflect the lifetime requirements for most fish.

Sounds like you admit there may have been some stunting that occured with the long time in the 55 until you got the 75. I would hazard a guess that more will happen until you get a 125/250, regardless of how many water changes you do.

I really do recommend you get the fish to a bigger tank and start off with another size appropriate fish.

reptileguy2727

Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
when i explained the cause of stunting, i didnt mean that is what i want to do to keep him small, i dont want to keep him small, stunt him, or do anything unhealthy for him. i want him to grow big and healthy as possible. i do 50% water change once a week. i explained that to show what i believe as the best explanation of stunting in small tanks and that i understand it enough to do what i can to minimize the impact on my fish. in the end i wont give him up because i do not feel that the 75 is a bad place for him, and i cant go any bigger. so he will stay in the 75 with me. i appreciate the concern, it is nice to see people concerned for the fish, but i dont think its as bad as it is coming across to you.

Zeromason577

AC Members
Apr 10, 2006
Portland,Oregon
Keeping him in the 75, no matter how much you change the water is not giving him any more space to move.
He may live in that size of a tank, but live a nice healthy life and be able to move around very freely will not be possiable, he needs a 125 or bigger to give him the space he needs.

Im glad that you are trying to do what is the very best for him, but the best thing for him would be giving him to someone that can handle his requirements or geting him a larger tank.

reptileguy2727

Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
i know it isnt ideal, if things change and i can get him in a bigger tank i will. i dont think it is bad and i definitely dont think it is bad enough to warrant getting rid of him.

s2kdrift

AC Members
May 2, 2006
might I suggest placing him in a swimming pool of some sort. Just make sure to place a bucket of NovAqua into the water to dechlorinate it. If the fish requires BW or SW, Drop a can of lightly salted mixed nuts in there. A jaguar in a swimmimg pool makes an entertaining party host.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store