75g 'finding nemo' themed FOWLR LOG

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vorlx

yadda yadda
Aug 30, 2007
Broken Arrow, OK
Sooooooo... I had found some acrylic locally and started on my DIY Sump. I decided to go with the following design:

I opted to go with a rubbermaid container, 24g. Its the largest I could get that would fit the space under my stand. Hindsite is deffinately 20/20 and I wish I would have just shelled out the cash for a tank.

SO anyway I started building it the other day, it's one of the ugliest things I have every seen but it looked like it was going to work out and be pretty functional. I got it all put together and let the silicone dry (big mistake using silcone as a sealant). I went to fill up the first chamber for a test (which ironically had what I thought was the strongest baffle) and well it didnt make it. I quickly remembered that silicone doesn't bond properly to plastic or acrylic and that I should have used a weld-on sealant. Anyway, I hopped on the net and ordered a couple pints and will give it another run next week. I guess in the mean time I will rip it apart and razor blade all the silicone off. Just thought I would share my newb mistake.

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
I'd think the flex you'd probably get from a rubbermaid would make for rough going. Maybe try a 20g high tank.

On the urchins eating coralline, I've had my urchin in my tank for about 2 months now and he has never touched any of the coralline. Or at least not enough to even notice. He pretty much just hangs out on the glass, hides behind pumps and such.

vorlx

yadda yadda
Aug 30, 2007
Broken Arrow, OK
I'd think the flex you'd probably get from a rubbermaid would make for rough going. Maybe try a 20g high tank.

On the urchins eating coralline, I've had my urchin in my tank for about 2 months now and he has never touched any of the coralline. Or at least not enough to even notice. He pretty much just hangs out on the glass, hides behind pumps and such.
It's a pretty strong rubbermaid container, it doesn't have AS much flex as a normal rubbermaid however it does add to the difficulty. I probably should just find a 20 high and try to cut down the acrylic an inch or so. I might give the project one more go in its current form with a different bonding agent and if I don't prevail I will switch over to a 20H.

As far as the Urchin is concerned. I like him, I havn't had any problems with him so far. I guess time will tell.

rsw686

AC Members
Feb 27, 2007
Virginia
20gal long tank would work better. You need length so the micro bubbles can escape through surface. I have a 20gal long under my 90gal, which is the same size as your 75gal just a couple inches taller.

darkcirca

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Fairfax, VA
www.thereptilefile.com
No one has posted about this yet, I'm surprised.

Do you plan to upgrade in the future, to say at least a 120 if not a 150? A regal tang really needs a larger home, and housing 2 tangs in a 75 is mighty small. My 90 (as seen in RSW's posts, it's our tank) houses one tang, a small Tomini Tang. I feel guilty housing 2 knowing they enjoy a lot of swimming room. I know they are small, but they grow, and they grow fast. My yellow at least tripled in size in the 5 months I had him. He was pretty big when he died.

I attempted the Nemo thing as well in my 56 gallon originally and realize it just wasn't enough room so we upgraded to a 90 gallon. I wish we could go bigger, but there isn't enough room. Just thought I'd bring up the tangs, as if you had one it wouldn't be that bad, but with 2 it presents a problem. Be careful you don't have any fights.

vorlx

yadda yadda
Aug 30, 2007
Broken Arrow, OK
Yep I do have some pictures.

And heres a recent picture of the tank.
Nice looking setup. Did you make the sump yourself? It looks like thats the size I would need. I have scrapped the rubbermaid idea and am trying to salvage the acrylic that I can. I notice you don't have a bubble trap and have been trying to research more into this. Can I get by without a bubble trap in the sump? Seems its alot easier to make and seal properly without one.

darkcirca

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Fairfax, VA
www.thereptilefile.com
Yeah, I've heard the back and forth debate on the tangs. It's a very borderline scenario. I am closer towards the min requirements for the regal and should be ok for the Yellow. I think they will do ok. I'll keep you informed on how that goes. If I don't think it will work out then I got the room for a 125 and will go that route.
Just keep an eye for any fighting, because it is common amongst tangs, especially in smaller tanks. If you notice a lot of "pacing" in a sense, it is time for an upgrade. When we had the yellow tang in the 56 gallon he started pacing towards the end. He'd swim back and forth fast, and up and down. I knew he wasn't happy, so to a new home he went, and later died. If you upgrade in the future make sure it is a 6foot+ tank, as that is what they truly need. The reason I went with a tomini (besides being not as often seen in the trade), was its small size.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store