90 gallon goby/blenny reef

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

powerkit

Spiral OUT
Oct 23, 2008
Memphis
www.myspace.com
Okay, so I have decided to set up a 90 gallon softie reef. It will have a 48" dual T5, and a 48" 50/50 actinic. I turned my old 20 into a sump/refugium (where I will grow pods etc.). also this tank will have 2 HOB filters and a reef octopus HOB skimmer. I want to have mostly mushrooms, riccordia and maybe a few toadstools, favia and acans. I want to put a wellsophylia green and purple brain as the center of attention. I am going to try to stick with gobies and blennies for the fishes~other than my silly clarkii clown.
I will start putting up pics as soon as I get to work on settin the tank/stand up tomarrow. right now it is on my back porch, as it was a freebee w/ a cracked bottom. well I just removed the bottom glass (tempered anyway) and replaced it with acryllic, so I could drill it, it has been holding water for about 3 days now, so I will drain and drill tonight and be ready to place it on the stand tomarrow and run plumbing etc! I will keep posting as I progress. Please feel free to let me know if you guys have any suggestions!

ctenophor

AC Members
Jun 22, 2009
just make sure yours clarkii are the last to be added, and maybe add the gobies first, starting from small to large, then blennies same pattern.

of course this is assuming you are doing the slow stocking route that puts all the fish at ammonia risk.

if you are being a realy good aquarist and supercycling, or doing a massive cycle so your tank can handle all your bioload (ammonia off the charts for a week or two) then add all the gobies the first day, the blennies the next and your clowns the third day.

fianly after two weeks if no nitrates, add corals.

jmo

if you are going the slow stock method, lower your ph while stocking fish, to about 8.0, and your temp to 78 degrees, this will lessen any ammoina toxicity.

powerkit

Spiral OUT
Oct 23, 2008
Memphis
www.myspace.com
OKAY, so....change in plans!

I have finally got everything together for this tank and will be filling it tonight within the hour...but I have fallen in love and it made me completely change my mind on what to do with this tank. The object of my affection is a dwarf lionfish. Never thought I'd like one, but he's a doll!!! and a great eater too. Sooooooo, this will now be a fish only w/live rock!

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Doh! Well.. I went predator before I went reef myself so I can't say anything. :) I am just terrified of lions.. so easy to accidently get stung any time you put your hand in the tank. I will take being bitten over beng stung anyday. ;) But sounds like a very healthy lion if it is eating well. That is the most important thing one can ask to see when selecting a lion fish, always ask to see them feed because the majority do not eat when they come into the LFS.

cam191919

AC Members
Apr 8, 2008
Tallahassee FL
ooo i love my dwarf lion, not very bright tho, chases foods reflection for a while before finding it. still, oskar schindler has quite the personality, and looks wicked cool hovering in his lair :D

powerkit

Spiral OUT
Oct 23, 2008
Memphis
www.myspace.com
So, the tank is filled and running. I just have to get the $ to get my new protien skimmer, it is an octopus BH-2000!!! but the live rock has gone in and I've selected a couple more fish for the stocking list. The lion is in with a regal (blue hippo) tang, a dogface puffer, and a piccaso trigger. Theyve been in the same tank here at work for a couple weeks and getting along nicely, so I think those will be my inhabitants! I am so excited, I can hardly wait for the tank to cycle out! I am using my grumpy clarkii clown and my sweet lil engineer goby to cycle with. So just a couple more weeks!!!! I will post pics of my progress so far, as soon as I get to a pc where I can upload and organize my pics!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store