90 gallon tall Tang to Malawi conversion

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DrNo

Overworked Member...
Jul 9, 2008
Long time no see Rifties. Hope you and your tanks are all well.

Long story short (and timed with a move), my 90 gallon tall tank will be converted into a Malawi setup. The Comps, Calvus et al. had to be rehomed in prep for this move and its a shame because they were doing so well and getting large. Still, I figure its time for something different since the tank must transition.

Some details:

1) Black/white substrate will change to special grade aragonite (great stuff from Carib-Sea)
2) Snowflake obisidian and Texas holey rock combo to remain.
3) Filtration upgraded from Fluval 405 to FX5 (now my second FX5...)
4) Submariner UV to remain.
5) Will finally paint the back of the tank flat black (vs. the existing black roll backing).
6) Actinic and blue night LEDs to remain.

As for stocking... expert opinions greatly appreciated. The 2 synodontis lucipinnis will be transferred in, as will plenty of large nerites. I've read enough to decide I do NOT want to mix herbivores and carnivores. The existing synos like their occasional meaty diet, so I will only consider carnivores and omnivores and even then feed krill, mysis and microcrabs only a few times a week. Spirulina/germ flake and Hikari pellet will be the primary diet.

Planned stocking includes:

1) 3 x synodontis lucipinnis (cleanup duty)
2) 6 x metriaclima estherae 2:4
3) 6 x metriaclima greshaki 2:4
4) 6 x ???

Any thoughts? Maybe a carno haplochrome who won't create con-specific aggression? I'm ordering from Dave's online so there is a huge selection available. Plese feel free to suggest alternate stocking suggestions (most welcome) and thanks in advance.

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOT THE TANGS!!!!

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
If you don't want to consider herbivores, mbunas as Metriaclima are that. Then, I agree with Blue; an all male hap/peacock tank should be your choice. That kind of tank can look great!

DrNo

Overworked Member...
Jul 9, 2008
If you don't want to consider herbivores, mbunas as Metriaclima are that. Then, I agree with Blue; an all male hap/peacock tank should be your choice. That kind of tank can look great!
An all male hap tank is a really interesting idea that I had not considered. The nice thing about Dave's selection is that they allow purchase by sex (can't do that Live Aquaria...). He also has a nice selection of male haps to choose from:

http://www.davesfish.com/

In an all male tank, what aggression issues should I take into account for haps and peacocks?

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
im not sure if any of you have ever heard of rivercityaquatics , they are based in austin texas, i got my enantiopus there, in the store they had quite an impressive selection of malawi stock, check there as well as daves. it says on his site that he offers a 7day guarentee on his fish, and that he is the only one in the industry to offer it. im assuming that this applies to shipped fish but im not sure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store