90 gallon tall Tang to Malawi conversion

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Notice the tangs are getting the bigger tank... :clap:

DrNo

Overworked Member...
Jul 9, 2008
Hilarious guys, thanks for the support :rolleyes:

Seriously though, trying to assimilate experience in a new type of tank management. No experience with Malawis whatsoever.

The hap suggestion got me thinking, and I redoubled research. My concerns about feeding with carnivores and herbvivores in the same tank(with a few synodontis) seem to be overblown, as most Malawi keepers just feed spirulina/fish germ flake as staple for all specimens and the carnivores readily exvept it. Then, a sprig of romaine or cucumber is always clipped and occasional microcrabs/mysis is fed sparingly. That makes me feel a lot better, so I'm now thinking a mix of Haps and Mbuna to maximize zone movement in the tank:

4 x Aulonocara stuartgranti
4 x Copadichromis mloto
6 x Labidochromis chisumulae
6 x Pseudotropheus saulosi
3 x Synodontis petricola

I've never had bloat problems with my Tangs and I'm not about to start with the Malawis.

austinpet, that thread is too funny dude. On my way to respond now...

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Trader.. LOL
:eek:mg: Look who says that!!! This guy is the personification of what TRADING is, and he is accusing DrNo for being a trader! Can you believe it? :shakehead:

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Dr, I like your stocking plan; but I think that males chisumulae and males saulosi are too similar to each other and this may bring aggression issues among them, IMO. So, I would change Ps. saulosi for Ps. acei. If you want some yellow, you can also change L. chisumulae for L. caeruleus. BTW, aceis and yellow labs are the 2 mbuna species most kept with haps and peacocks; due to their docile temperament for mbuna standards.

DrNo

Overworked Member...
Jul 9, 2008
Dr, I like your stocking plan; but I think that males chisumulae and males saulosi are too similar to each other and this may bring aggression issues among them, IMO. So, I would change Ps. saulosi for Ps. acei. If you want some yellow, you can also change L. chisumulae for L. caeruleus. BTW, aceis and yellow labs are the 2 mbuna species most kept with haps and peacocks; due to their docile temperament for mbuna standards.
Trader, traitor, Vader, its all relative... :hitting:

Thanks for the feedback here efors; nice thought. I like the chisumulae quite a bit, but the yellow/blue combo in the saulosi is a major selling point. I'd probably opt for the yellow labs and ditch the chisumulae. I also have a source for Copadichromis sp. 'Virginalis Gold' Nkanda and might swap for the Copadichromis mloto.

Planning the stock really is the fun part but its clearly worth the effort to ensure all hell doesn't break loose later.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Notice the tangs are getting the bigger tank... :clap:
Only because they need more room for their fat heads (ie Fronts) :D

Anyway I would be hesitant to put the saulosi with the haps. They are small but can be nippy. I would stick with the labs or acei if you want to mix the haps and mbuna. It can work out otherwise but I just don't like to take risks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store