A. Australe with breathing issues.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
I'm using the API test kit which was recommended here.
There's a yellow box that measures up to .25 as far as I can gather and does not measure precise numbers. So if I test the water, hold up the test tube to the strip to compare with the yellow box it could be 0 ammonia or it could be .15 ammonia...So I just say safe zone. Unless I'm reading this thing wrong?.

I consider on the high side anything over a neutral PH of 7.
The top yellow is 0. The next one down is 0.25ppm. If it matches the first box, it's zero. If it matches the second, it's between 0.125 and 0.375. If I read you right, you're in the top box which is zero. So we can eliminate ammonia as an issue.

You say that you consider anything over 7 to be "on the high side". But what is your pH? From that all I can infer is that it's between 7 and 14. Well, the fact your fish are alive means it's between 7 and 9, but still...

Is it the same with the nitrite? Test remains blue?

Eupterus

The one who takes a different path.
Jul 22, 2007
31 Spooner St. Quahog, RI.
My PH is 7.4.
I do not have an oxygen test kit.
There are now two australes with breathing issues.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Ammonia can read 0 and at the same time nitrites can be at unsafe levels, which is anything over 0.

Can you give us the numbers for nitrites and nitrates, though if a planted tank probably high levels of nitrates are not a problem.

Nitrites bind with the heme molecule in the blood, preventing the O2 in the gills from entering the bloodstream and therefore causing the fish to suffocate.

Eupterus

Jul 22, 2007
I thought I already said nitrites were at safe levels and also yes it's a live planted tank.
I went down the list of ammonia causes and since the only one that fit was under-filtering, I doubled the filtration.

Eupterus

Jul 22, 2007
Ok, I've decided as soon as the new heaters come and the give-away betta is moved out, I will start treating them for gill parasites in the sick tank.
The give-away betta is going to my parents house until she finds a home, but I need a heater that reaches the outlet first. This australe has been having breathing problems for what?...most of two weeks now?.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store