A Car Capable of 8,000 MPG

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Native American

Just Another Flying Fish
Apr 25, 2005
Altus, OK
Slappy*McFish said:
..and yet we continue to line their pockets with gold.
Yes, we do! We Americans gave birth to the SUV (push the "U" and "V" together, and it looks like SW...station wagon). This is a dream come true for the oil companies...a heavy, poor-handling, fuel-wasting vehicle that Americans will buy in droves because they're "trendy" (well, I don't own one, but I agree that they do look good) and because the public thinks they're safer (not true).

Just take a heavy, unsophisticated, easy-to-produce non-rigid ladder frame (like a station wagon or light truck has), make the station wagon-type body sit higher with truck-type nose and tail styling, and voila!...you have an SUV. Sporty? No way, unless you consider rolling over a new sport. Greater Utility? Nope, a standard pickup truck beats it all the way around.

Before prices started dropping on these, a large SUV like an Expedition could be counted on to yield $15,000 in profit for Ford per unit sale. They are cheap and easy to build. U.S. car companies are not losing money with the buyer incentives and rebates being offered for large SUV's these days.

Never mind a large Ford, GM or Chrysler SUV is nearly 1,000 to 1,500 pounds heavier than most other vehicles built for the purpose of hauling 5 to 7 people and their stuff. Just add 4WD (which most Americans don't know how to use), and you can add another quarter ton to this, too.

You get more of a federal tax break purchasing a Humbag H2 than you do for buying a hybrid.

v/r, N-A

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Native American said:
... Greater Utility? Nope, a standard pickup truck beats it all the way around. ... ..
v/r, N-A
Not for my camping and fishing trips. I need to keep my stuff dry, and somewhat safe from thieves. And a camper top on a pick-up wouldn't work for me either. I need "reachability" the side doors provide.

But that's just me... :D

Native American

Just Another Flying Fish
Apr 25, 2005
Altus, OK
Well, Joe...you're right (just remembering my last camping trip with my old pickup, with a high-rise shell...all it takes is one leaky window to ruin your night!).

v/r, N-A

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store