A debate over otos and green algae--oto owners, pls give your opinions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OldMan47

I love my endlers
Jan 1, 2008
Central Illinois
I have not seen mine taking care of BBA and nothing that I know of eats BGA but the rest of the tank always looks spotless when I have any otos in it. I'm not sure what forms they are eating because I never see it. I will usually add otos when there is a heavy layer of green stuff developing all over the tank but it is usually the kind that is easily removed with a scraper. A week or two later I find I need to supplement the otocinclus no matter how much algae I started with.

Hannamerika

Registered Member
Jan 23, 2014
I am not sure what type of algae I have. From what I have read, it seems it may not be an algae at all, but rather a bacteria that is bright green color. It grows like mad in certain places in my tank. It will nearly smother some plants, others it won't touch. It loves wood and my white rocks as well as the glass. The worst thing is that my tank smells worse than a sewer. I can take 90% of the water out and within 2 days you put your hand in the tank and draw it out and washing it off is not good enough, you want a shower. By day 4, the odor will literally knock you down like some kind of a gas and the odor is so putrid it makes you want to gag. I have sucked stuff out, cut way back on feeding, changed water 3 times and the only way to prevent it from showing up is to leave the lights totally off. I think then, that makes for a bunch of dead algae which in turn increases the phosphate or ammonia levels and the whole cycle starts all over again. I am at a loss....any suggestions?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Hannamerika:

This post is 7 years old. Why are you answering it now??

Reactions: Mr Ironic
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store