A Few questions on...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DaisyGirl

My Betta Malaria
Jan 5, 2005
thanks for the help. I have gotten 4 bronze cories and a betta, for now, and I want to get some type of tetra to school in the tank.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Stick to a smaller tetra like the neon or rummy nose. Harliquin Rasboras are a nice choice as well. Also I would add soem live plants or silk plants to the tank. This helps keep aggression down as it offers line of sight breaks and places to hide for timid fish.

DaisyGirl

My Betta Malaria
Jan 5, 2005
TKOS: I have been suggested to get White Clouds, and I see you have them from your signature. Do you advise them? If so, how many to get? Can they handle water from 78-79 F?

If not, do you suggest rummy noses, because I have also been told to stay away from them, because they are sensitive to water changes, and more $$

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
I would not suggest white clouds at that temp. I keep mine at 68F, occasionaly letting the tank raise to 74F in the summer. They are super active, very colourful and a fun time to watch. Conversly the ones I have seen in warmer tanks tend to be much less colourful and active. They wil survive fine but probably won't be as much fun to watch. The lower temp gives them a higher oxygen content to work with.

I see nothing wrong with rummynose. They are sensitive fish, but no more so than neon tetras. Rummy's are sensitive to bad water quality. So unless you plan on having bad water then they would be fine to get. I have had a group of three (more will follow when the older tetars start to die off) for over a year in a 20 gallon tank. I do weekly water changes of 20-30%, have live plants and feed them flake food daily (with an occasional day of fasting). Adding live plants to your tank and doing weekly water changes of 30% or so will be fine.

All fish prefer stability, so the closer the change water matches the old water the better.

DaisyGirl

My Betta Malaria
Jan 5, 2005
OK, sounds good. I'll start with maybe 3-4 rummynoses to start. Thanks!

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
Rummynoses get pretty long though, about 2.5" or more. They also tend to prefer planted tanks, as far as I've read, as well as having more swimming space than a ten gallon can offer. I also think that you should stick to smaller fish which allows you to properly accomodate their schooling needs. Generally, a schooling fish really should be kept in groups of 6 or more, or it can induce stress which leads to disease. Harlequin rasboras, amber tetras, green eye rasboras (I think), neons, pygmy cories, etc are all better suited to such a small tank.

Last edited:

jwterry

AC Members
Feb 5, 2005
Daisy Girl

I have white clouds in my 29 g. With them are neon, glow light and black phantom tetras. Additionally, three albino corys and two otos. All of them get along great, no sign of aggression from any of them. I normally keep the tank at 76 degrees and all are very active. The ammonia and nitrite levels remain at zero. I do have two bio-wheel filters (Peguin 125 and 170, actually Regents with bio-wheel add-ons0. This combination has proven to be an incredible combination... not bad for my first aquarium. All the fish have great color and personalities... the white cloouds are very active at 76 (and at 80 when i cranked up the heat because one newly added fish had ich)...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store