a fish tank for a museum

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chefjamesscott

beware the house tiger
May 28, 2008
Not really much to update but I will show some pics of the fish room tanks, though I can not get the goldfish, rosie reds or guppies to breed I can not figure it out. My fish at my restaurant breed like rabbits. So I have resigned myself that I have a nice goldfish tank and nice quarentine tank to hold the minnows

guppy tank 5 guppies now for 6 mths and they have not made babies i think the male is a dud

Rosie red minnow tank thought they were breeding but nope

my calico comet tank got them as feeders but they have turned out to be nice goldfish so when I have a spare tank at the restaurant I will be doing a goldie tank with them and using this as qt as well for store bought minnows or to put in a pair of cichlids to make feeders.

the 3 fish getting ready to go in with dinner to the main tank

a couple of shots of the fish grouping and hanging out on the surface.

I have a rearrange and a few things I will be doing this coming weekend will make sure to post some pics

In regards to a pleco in there, I have a albino bristlenose and am thinking of putting in my reg bristle and my chocolate but don't want to add to much of a bio load to the substrate.

Dagamoth

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Milford, OH
Real Name
Adam
nice job with the tank, just got done reading the whole thread. Is there any chance that you can throw a whole tank photo up I'd really like to see how the tank is looking as a whole :grinno:

chefjamesscott

beware the house tiger
May 28, 2008
I will take some shots this weekend when I go to do my routine.

tcarswell

Bichir guy
Jan 7, 2009
Sacramento California
Take a look at the water test results from when I started.

More than a few times in the 2 months that I had her care she would bleech out and be listless. I would attribute it to her living in a cesspool for over 10 years and not being able climatize to healthy water parameters.

I was not feeding strickly goldfish, I have some breeders set up in the fish room mollies, and I have my own tanks where I keep rosie red and white clouds and some goldfish so that I can purify them and gut load them with quality foods.

I have to attribute it to many stupid things by the previous caretaker, like who in their right mind drills a piece of wood and pours molten lead in and then silicones around the hole? As if the lead is not going to leech into the water. And he was feeding it feeders from the boneyard tank he used to hold the feeders in, I had never seen so much fish bones in the bottom of a tank.

Also the substrate in this tank was filled with much gunk, that I cleared out over time just did not feel I need to involve boring details like that in the thread. Also running a pool filter system with only a carbon cartridge that was changed maybe 1 every 2 years or so, hmmm toxic teabag anyone?

From the studies I did on severly stunted fish, one of the dangers it warned off was what would happen when they were introduced to good water and began to grow. Quite possibly the detoxification of the fish would kill it as the poisons were leaving it. I also have some thoughts that cramped organs inside of a fish from stunting will also act somewhat like a blood clot that frees itself, good that the blockage is cleared but bad in that it is now going to kill you.

I also am not a fan of the water chemicals they were using cycle, waste elminator and their dechlor are not my cup of tea, The waste eliminator chemical says right on the label that it's useage will cause ammon to bloom in the tank. Which is why I strictly use seachem products

The critical time period that I set for this fish was a 2-3 mth time frame, in retro spect I have no idea what I might have done other than not introducing new tank mates so fast since new things like that can cause stress on a fish who is used to having the whole tank as their domain. Yet, my job was to get a tank back into pristine shape and public appeal, make it something that people wanted to stop and look at rather than just walk by.

Speaking of this I need to go take some pictures of it as I have now added some new residents, I will do that tonight and update later.
Sounds like you took it personal. I wasn't saying it was your fault she was obviously in some horrid conditions prior which im sure had something to do with it.

My point was parasites can live in fish for years and feeders are an absolute breeding ground for them. All it takes is one. Once again not your fault. Some fish like needle fish would rather die than eat a pellet or dead fish.

Tank is looking great !

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Nice job, plz post some pics!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store