A happy surprise but a surprise nonetheless!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
Hi guys, remember when I was talking about having an Indian dwarf puffer tank? Yeah so that just went down! My aunt doesn't seem to realize that new fish need to be planned for lol. I could have sent them back but I did have a cycled filter and a 10g tank available so I set it up.

I just want to make sure I'm on the right track here and if anyone sees an issue please point it out. I've been using this site

http://www.dwarfpuffers.com/

To make sure I've got room and the right food and I'm good there. I have 2 of them in a 10g tank with PFS substrate. The big problem right this moment is decor. It has one fake plant and a shipwreck decoration in it and I know these guys like hiding places. How long do you think I can leave the tank like that while waiting for live plants and stuff? They both are really mellow right now so at the moment I'm not worried about any aggression (to be honest I'm worried they were mistreated on the trip to the LFS because they look a little off to me). If you think it could become an issue rather quick I can get some fake plants from other tanks.

I have frozen brine shrimp for them currently and a whole mess of snails. If I had my way I'd just let the snails live in there and reproduce and let that be the puffers main diet while feeding shrimp as a treat but it seems it is done the other way around. Should I get a third type of food or do you think I'm good there?

Now for space. I know they're messy and I've read minimum space is 5g per puffer. Is that still the norm? 2 in my 10g looks awful bare and I can live with that if that's the right way to go about it but if any of you know if I can add another puffer or some other tankmates with the space I'm using (10g) I would appreciate that also.

So that's where I'm at with a few questions. Gotta say... I was not going to get them but I'm kinda happy I did. They're cute little dudes. I'm trying not to bug them by getting close to the glass much right now though just because I feel like they're not doing good

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
Well it seems oto's and shrimp are ok tankmates. Any others that you guys know of? If not how many oto's AND shrimp would you recommend? I've been wanting shrimp lately and it would be great to put a few in there (don't worry I won't add the oto's for a while yet!)

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Anything can work for a temporary hiding place. Short lengths of pvc pipe and the fittings for it work very well. Clay flower pots are an old standby as well. The ship is fine if the fish can hide in it. A wider variety of food is always a good idea. Mysis are a better choice than bs, but if you're going to use bs at least get one enriched with spirulina like Hikari makes. As far as the permanent set up, a few caves hidden amongst live plants will be fine, and you could certainly put a few small dithers in, say some Zebra Danios or a smaller Rasbora species.

GOSKN5

AC Members
Apr 24, 2011
I had 3 puffers in a 15 for a good while.. Actually gave the tank and fish to my mom...

The shrimp that I added were torn to shreds in a day or two... U can try it but be prepared for carnage! However my puffers did live fine with other fish.. So its hit and miss I guess...

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
Wonderful SR that helps quite a bit. I have some spare PVC laying around too. I will invest in mysis also. Good to know that's healthier. I have basic frozen BS from my LFS but it isn't enriched or special in the nutritional department it seems.

I think I will make a post in the classifieds about getting a plant package from someone. Anyone have any suggestions on something that will grow in PFS with basic fluorescent bulbs (can get the rating if needed but I'm sure it isn't anything special) or regular lightbulbs? I have both types of hoods. I know there's a lot of people here on AC cutting plants so maybe someone will send me a package?

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
I had 3 puffers in a 15 for a good while.. Actually gave the tank and fish to my mom...

The shrimp that I added were torn to shreds in a day or two... U can try it but be prepared for carnage! However my puffers did live fine with other fish.. So its hit and miss I guess...
Yeah I did read it was hit r miss with shrimp and to start with a ghost shrimp to see how it goes. I'm cool with that. I think this tank will be very fun! Much different than anything I've done so far

kriskitty23

AC Members
Feb 15, 2012
I have blue and ghost shrimp in with my little puffer. He has left them alone thus far and he's been with them for quite awhile. Also, I have a couple of guppies in with him and he's left them completely alone. I do have a ton of plants in there, so there are plenty of hiding spaces. As for snails...he obliterated my entire bladder snail colony in under two weeks. I'm currently trying to breed snails for him in two of my other tanks. I love my little puffer. They have such personality! He swims out to see me when I come in. :)

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
That is wwonderful! I'm so excited. What plants are you growing and what substrate and lighting do you use?

I'm gonna go over the old market place threads and see if anyone has any plants they can give me som cuttings of.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
You definitely need to breed the snails in a separate tank, because they'll just gorge themselves practically to death! They will eat themselves sick, and your snail population will be gone in no time.

I haven't had a chance to mail out your package yet...I thought I had a padded envelope, and I probably do, but I can't find it! Do you want me to just ship in a small flat rate box and include a whole bunch of ramshorns? I have probably 100+, although it's hard to say because the tank they're in is unfortunately a mess of green water, lol.

Oh, and I also have hornwort...tons of it...growing outside. If you are ok with outdoor plants, I can include some.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store