a little coral advice

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BeelzeBob

-CHAUVINIST PIG-
Mar 18, 2006
Boulder, Co.
Friends dont let friends buy xenia.:D its a brown weed. i cannot support that decesion!! :lol:

jayghmi

Senior Member Wannabe
Feb 3, 2007
Western Michigan
Agreed with an astreick **

Since I added my protein skimmer and my bio load is low, my xenia hasn't spread or split in about three months.

BeelzeBob

-CHAUVINIST PIG-
Mar 18, 2006
Boulder, Co.
yea i cad some on a piece of LR through my cycle. then it just dissolved away when my tank was set and ready for more coral.

w/ onl 18gals to work with, i was relieved:D

bethkira2000

AC Members
Jan 5, 2007
Maine
Okay so one kind of anemone like rose tip one, or something. And I thought no sponge just cause if it dies it will poison my tank. what about a sun coral?And what about sea whips?

gomrjoe

AC Members
May 22, 2006
Miami, FL.
About two months ago I split my colony in half, moved the main piece down towards the bottom of the tank, that Xenia colony has slowed down considerably. The rest, about 4 main stalks on a big piece of LR are still about 2/3 of the way up in my tank, those guys are still spreading like mad!

Whats worse, my wife won't let me touch it, she says that she likes it up there because it is growing and providing a backdrop behind my toadstools.

:wall:

In about 2 months it is going to wind up on my toadstool rock, who knows what will happen then! Oh brother!

BeelzeBob

-CHAUVINIST PIG-
Mar 18, 2006
Boulder, Co.
Xenia are the Fw snails of reef tanks. Your tanks all cycled, and youre all excited to get something live in there,

You're all like awwwwwww cool i want one.

then ones like a dozen.

and then a outbreak.

finally you get sick of it and decide to remove some, and when you cut it open, it smells like trash bag leakege.

BeelzeBob

-CHAUVINIST PIG-
Mar 18, 2006
Boulder, Co.
oops my bad.

but about the anemone. because your light is a coral life, Im assuming that its a PC.

But, being that its PC id Assume that its not more than 150 watts. and on a 55 gal, thats not enough light to keep a nem.

sponges are fine and harmless.

You are thinkin of a sea apple, whisch is a type of "sea cucumber" that dies and nukes your tank w/ toxin.

gomrjoe

AC Members
May 22, 2006
Miami, FL.
what about a sun coral?And what about sea whips?
I do not have a Sun Coral personally, but I have read several posts and articles stating that Sun Coral are very difficult to keep, They require target feeding, low light, and you have to train them to open and eat. Probably not recommended for you if you are just getting introduced to the hobby. I personally wouldn't try them, just my opinion.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store