A plant-safe method to get rid of very small snails?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lake_tuna

AC Members
Dec 14, 2009
There are a ton of these really small and flat snails in a 20g L fish tank that I'd like to get rid of. The adults don't get bigger than 1/8" of an inch across. I put a baby assassin snail (1/4" across) in there, but I think even he is too big to eat them.

I'm gonna have a chance to remove the fish for a move (or for an extended time to another tank), so I was wondering if there is be any good way to kill all of these snails with some kind of chemical? I have pure ammonia, which I use to cycle tanks, that comes into my mind. Will a high level of ammonia kill these buggers? Any other suggestions that will kill snails and leave my plants somewhat unharmed (as in they will bounce back)? I saw some chemicals as well as aquarium salt at Petsmart. I have a carpet of dwarf sags in there that I value more than the fish!

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
drop some pennies in there
The amount of copper in a penny made after 1982 is hardly worth mentioning. That's an old timer trick that worked when we had real money.

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
Syn. petricola's, mine eat all the snails that come in on plants etc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store