A real live stocking problem...need advice

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fwiffo

AC Members
Dec 5, 2007
ok, this is the deal. my friend has a 10 gallon tank setup. he went all out on it. he has a 24" coralife fixture on there with freshwater bulbs, a sponge filter running with an air pump, an undergravel filter with i think is an aquaclear 50 powerhead on it (it looks the same as mine), and an eheim ecco on there.

lol, the powerhead is in reverse, so dont worry about a mini- whirlpool running in there!!!

oh, and also, he's running one of those jungle co2 factories on there too.

he does weekly water changes which he says he likes dumps half the tank.

i asked him how is his aquarium's specs are and he said hes battling a slight nitrate problem but has no ammonia or nitrites. he tests once a week before the water change.

its heavily planted with like 2 amazon swords, some anubias, and a beautiiful madagascar lace. that last plant is MARVELOUS!!!!

now, for the problem.

get a load of his stock:

2 3" keyhole cichlids, 1 3" blood parrot, 1 clown loach (could'nt see it but he says its like the length of his pinkie), a 4" blue lobster, a 5" convict cichlid, and a pleco thats like 3-5".

hes had this tank for a while and, well, the fish look good... the keyholes look really sharp.

i tried to gently talk to him but he says, uggghhh, well ive had the fish for a while, except the parrot and loach, and they all r good. he says the fish have grown quite a bit since he bought them. i know he doesn't like the parrot much cause i guess its from his old girlfriend who bought while they went to the pet shop for fun. he aint keen on the loach either, for that matter cause he says he never sees it, except when gravel vacs.

so, like, what should i say to him to maybe convince him to, you know, get something more, appropiate size-wise.

no nasty remarks please, hes a good guy who honestly knows alot about plants, but his fish are just oversized for the tank, ya know...

maybe i could show him the diy co2 stuff and sya, ya know, you cant keep big fish when this is running, but your lace will get HUGE!!! he loves that frickin plant from what i saw and really babies it.

wish i had pics. his tank really does look nice, but overgrown with plants!!!

thanks for the help, and keep it kind please!

mkbuckham

AC Members
Mar 5, 2004
Colorado Springs
Visit site
Tell him how impressed you are with his 10 and think he could do even more with a 55. The art of diplomacy is letting other people have your way, make him think its his idea to go bigger

Bansart

AC Members
Feb 26, 2008
Los Angeles
Real Name
Ivan
Yea I agree..also maybe you can tell him he has the skill and a keen eye for aquascaping and that he can do so many things with a larger tank ie: putting larger and nicer driftwoods. tell em how his madagascar is gonna be the center piece..etc. try to veer off the "inappropriate tank for type of fish" topic. a lil subliminal messages here and there might do the trick. hope he gets a bigger tank cus that pleco and clowns gonna need alot of space :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store