a really agressive african cichlid

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ignavi

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
Chipokae is the worse, by far.. From my experience. But the aggressive by race, is not always as predictable people my think. I do have one Kenyi that is bad (really really bad guy). This

Last edited by a moderator:

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
No prob :) remember though the idea is not to put fish together that will fight...that's just going to end in tears.

Last edited:

ibr3ak

I Eat Fish
Dec 15, 2007
Brooklyn, An Why See
I agree with Coler, some time ago I wanted an extremely aggressive tank thinking it would be cool (kinda like having pretty looking piranha tank), but after you either lose a few fish (and some of these africans are not cheap) or witness constant beat downs where a whole group is either bullying one fish into hiding ALL the time or one bully taking over the whole tank sending the group of less dominant fish into a corner where they spend all of their time hiding and avoiding getting ripped you'd have second thoughts and would more than likely seek out the less aggressive species to come as close to a "peaceful community tank" as possible.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
You need more than 4 others in the tank - at least another 10 or so. The particular kind of fish we are talking about require that much in order to prevent one fish from taking over the tank and trying to kill everything else.

A group of 6 mbuna is not stable in any tank. A group of 6 mbuna in a 30 gallon will kill each other. That's why you need the 50 Gallon.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
If you have a 50 you can consider stocking it as per post number 19 above in this thread.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
might also want to rethink a 55g pleco/clown loach/platy tank. the platies would be fine, as would smaller types of plecos, but clown loaches and common plecos get far too large for 55g. there are many smaller species of loaches that would be good choices though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store