A Story and A Little Help Please!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
Keep your eye out for great deals. I nearly got a used 55g with a stand for $20, but they guy sold it out from under me. Luckily, about 2 weeks later I found a 75g with a Mag 350 canister, a hob power filter, 2 air pumps, tons of decor including 4 peices of small to large driftwood, etc. Just about everything I needed for $60. I still need a stand, but hey, the mag 350 was worth the money by itself!

Good luck btw!

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
definitely try to get as big a tank as you can. imo, a 55 is good for about half the fish you have listed when they are adult size.

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Where the ducks walk on the fish, PA
Ultimately the severums are going to be in a big tank with some dithers in our basement. The basement won't be done until the spring. I am just growing them out until then. I didn't want to have to buy and set up then move the big tank until I have the basement done and it can be placed in the bottom of an aquarium wall. I will need another 55 gal or 75 gal for the second layer of the wall anyway so hopefully I will find one quickly. I am just concerned about now and what to separate into the 30 gal.

DiezelEinstein

AC Members
Aug 2, 2008
AZ
totally.....i just like the hex tanks...they look neato....but yeah for a bigger footprint , its out of the question for sure...just dont see too many of them , which makes them pretty cool IMO. well atleast i havnt seen too many except for smaller ones.

cmartin

Extra tanks - no place to setup :(
Mar 14, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario
I picked up a used 65 gal Hex a few weeks ago. The problem is that the covers/lids and stands are not in demand - so they are extremely expensive... if you can find them.

I am going the DIY path - plexiglass for the top and wrought iron for the stand - both home made - and much cheaper. This free tank has already cost me about $300.00 :wall: and I am sure there is much more to come... but they do look SWEET.

DiezelEinstein

AC Members
Aug 2, 2008
AZ
I picked up a used 65 gal Hex a few weeks ago. The problem is that the covers/lids and stands are not in demand - so they are extremely expensive... if you can find them.

I am going the DIY path - plexiglass for the top and wrought iron for the stand - both home made - and much cheaper. This free tank has already cost me about $300.00 :wall: and I am sure there is much more to come... but they do look SWEET.

Luckily mine still has an oak stand...but lights and hoods and stuff are for sure not readily available..i somehow managed to take care of mine...wrought iron would be cool....how tall are you wanting to achieve total?

DiezelEinstein

AC Members
Aug 2, 2008
AZ
Mine will be for sell as soon as the leak is fixed. It is complete. Tank, stand, hood, lights, UGF plate. What should I ask for it?

Im not sure I personally havnt bought one since the first one and that things is like 20 years old or something...i guess it depends on the demand....start high if yer looking to make a buck like 2-3 bills then work your way down if ya have too...try searching Craigslist or similar for a ballpark "going for" price if you can find one.

depending on the lighting, condition, and if solid wood or not, plus with a previous leaker it may be a hard sale, but im sure you can sell it...somebody somewhere is probably looking for exactly what you'll be selling.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
if you don't want to bother fixing it, just sell it as a reptile habitat. it would probably be great for any lizards or snakes that like to climb a bit, and you may be able to get more for it that way than as a "once broken" fish tank. the only unnecessary component is the UGF, and many people don't use those anyway.

cmartin

Extra tanks - no place to setup :(
Mar 14, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario
The stand will be about 2.5 - 3 feet tall. With the tank being 3 feet it should look stunning. I really can't wait :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store